First Watch Review | Teen Ink

First Watch Review

April 29, 2024
By happy_penguin1289 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
happy_penguin1289 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I have never been the type of person that jumps at the sound of wheat pancakes and kale juice for breakfast. So When my friends suggested that we should go to First Watch for Breakfast, I was nervous that the menu would be smothered in green stuff and everything sugar free. While their menu can definitely appeal to that healthier lifestyle, I was pleasantly surprised to find that they still provided traditional breakfast items.


Located on Capitol Drive in Pewaukee, the small breakfast chain released their most recent location just two years ago. Along with many other new businesses in the area, this breakfast joint has piqued the interest of many Waukesha County residents, such as myself.


The modern farm-house style gives the restaurant a warm and inviting atmosphere. The decor provides a simple and clean design while still adding some flare. When I first walked in I knew that whatever I was about to order would be fresh and made with care. First Watch strives to push towards the more modern type feel in its newer locations. The farm-house style creates a welcoming and homely atmosphere.


When it came to ordering from the menu, I was amazed at First Watch’s ability to take something I already love and create a healthier and more authentic version. It was hard to make a selection at first with a wide range of options. From six types of eggs benedict, to omelets, breakfast tacos, acai bowls, breakfast combos and so much more, I couldn’t decide.


First Watch promotes an entire section of their menu to provide healthier lifestyle choices. Items such as there A.M. Superfoods Bowl, housing Coconut milk chia seed pudding, fresh bananas and berries, mixed berry compote, housemade granola with almonds and whole grain artisan toast with almond butter and Maldon sea salt. Or their Power Wrap consisting of Cage-free egg whites, turkey, spinach, house-roasted Crimini mushrooms and Mozzarella in a sun-dried tomato-basil tortilla. Served with fresh fruit and a side of homemade pico de gallo. The purpose of this section is to provide nutritional, yet delicious breakfast choices. 


Along with the “Healthier Side” section of the menu, the restaurant provides nutritional information for each of the items. Calorie counts are provided next to each item and other nutritional information can be found in the description or on their website. In addition, many of the items are also available for gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and other dietary restrictions to create an inclusive menu.


To sweeten the deal, First watch also provides their juice bar. Though small, the juice bar includes colorful, bright, and tasty drinks to complement an amazing breakfast. The regular menu includes Morning Meditation Fresh Juice(Orange, lemon, turmeric, organic ginger, agave nectar and beet), Kale Tonic Fresh Juice(Kale, Fuji apple, English cucumber and lemon), and Purple Haze(Lemon, cane sugar, butterfly pea flower tea and a hint of lavender). However, each month they provide a new special juice flavor for customers to try. Each with a unique flavor and color, these juices are definitely worth a taste. 


In the end, I ordered the Trifecta combo meal which includes two fresh cage-free eggs, any style, with either a light and airy Belgian waffle or a multigrain pancake. Plus your choice of bacon, a chicken sausage patty, or a sausage link(turkey or pork). While simple, it truly was one of the best waffles I have had. Coated in a cinnamon powdered sugar with warm berry compote on the side I was indulged with flavor. 


In addition to amazing food options the service received was excellent. Each time I go back I am greeted with a warm smile, which is just the right thing to start off your day. Even during a busy rush after church on a Sunday morning, the servers at First Watch always display a smile and want to ensure that your breakfast experience is the best it can be. This comes to no surprise as the business was named top 100 Most Loved Workplace(Newsweek and Best Practice Institute).


I was also pleasantly surprised on my returning visit to find that they provide carry-out services. Customers are able to visit their website(firstwatch.com) and place an order to go at their nearest location. A separate door is conveniently placed away from the main entrance so that customers can quickly grab their food to enjoy on the go. This aspect is perfect for those who want a great meal, but want to avoid, or don’t have time for the sit-down experience.


My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I have definitely received my fair share of soggy pancakes and dry eggs when going out. First Watch, however, has never done me wrong. It truly is a refreshing breakfast experience.


The author's comments:

As stated in the article I love breakfast food. When this new breakfast joint opened near my house I was intrigued to try it. After many visits it has become one of my go to places in the morning; so when prompted to write a review on anything by my teacher, I chose FirstWatch.