The Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern review | Teen Ink

The Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern review

By brookesexton BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
brookesexton BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Do you enjoy a good traditional sit down dinner? Then The Fox & Hounds Restaurant & Tavern in Hubertus Wisconsin might be just the place for you.

The restaurant is a beautiful rustic wooden log cabin. This supper club with its log fires is cozy and welcoming. It was originally built in 1845 and just used as a one room cabin. 90 years later the cabin was restored by a horseman named Ray Wolf. He added a basement bar and opened it up for other equestrians. The Wolfs then opened their restaurant in 1933 and with a fitting name… Fox & Hounds.

Every room is also decorated to match the rustic vibe. Fox & Hounds also has a lower bar, music room and patio you can enjoy. In the future I plan on going back to see what these other rooms have to offer.

Fox & Hounds is a popular establishment and tables are likely to fill up for dinner time. Reservations are recommended to guarantee you get a table. If you don’t mind waiting there is a sit down bar you can wait at. However I am someone who doesn’t like to wait around forever so I recommend getting there early. When I went I arrived around 4:30 and there was no wait so I was seated right away. But only 30 minutes later there was already a line of people waiting to be seated. 

One thing I love about this restaurant is their specials. All entrees are buy 1 get one free as well as desserts. They also offer Friday all you can eat fish fry. The meals overall are more expensive ranging from $38- $70, average price is in the upper 40’s. It might seem that the meals are expensive but if you get one for free you are essentially paying what you would at another restaurant.

At Fox & Hounds you will be well fed. You are given bread, and a choice of either soup or salad for every meal. The bread is delicious. It is served warm in a circular loaf; it comes with a tray of cinnamon butter that is to die for. The soups are served in a regular cup size portion. Every day they are serving something different so you get a choice. The salad is a regular side salad with lettuce, tomato, onions, croutons, and a dressing of your choice.However I made the mistake of getting the spinach and artichoke dip. It was delicious but in addition to everything else I was getting full before having my entree.

Their entrees consist of pastas, fish & seafood, chicken & pork, and beef. For dinner I ordered the Bourbon Glazed Salmon Pasta. This meal consists of sauteed red peppers, zucchini, pea pods, with roasted red pepper cream sauce and penne pasta topped with a 5 oz bourbon glazed filet and served with a breadstick. It was absolutely delicious. The fish was perfectly cooked and the bourbon glaze gave it a sweet taste. The pasta was coated in a rich creamy light red sauce. The additional vegetables mixed throughout added a nice crunch to the meal. Unfortunately I was already full at this point and only was able to eat half of the entree. However I wasn’t mad to take some home because then I had more to enjoy the next day. 

The service was also outstanding. My server was always checking on us to see if we needed anything. It also didn’t take long to get our food, about 40 minutes after ordering. The workers were efficient and caring. 

Overall Fox and Hounds was amazing. I would recommend this supper club to anyone.

I chose to write about Fox and Hounds because this is a restaurant I love to go to with my family.