Sour Nostalgia in a Blue Package | Teen Ink

Sour Nostalgia in a Blue Package

August 19, 2023
By tguzman24 SILVER, Northwest Washington, District Of Columbia
tguzman24 SILVER, Northwest Washington, District Of Columbia
9 articles 2 photos 0 comments

You pull into the last open spot at the end of the row. The parking lot only fits 10 cars, and there are always more than 10 people inside the CVS. Locking your car, you quickly stride into the store. You are here for Cetaphil facewash, cucumber-scented deodorant, and perhaps, if you can find it, Dove Purifying and Detoxifying Bodywash. They might be out of stock (again), in which case you will continue to use your shampoo as soap. It’s been working just fine. Wandering CVS, you can’t help but poke your head down the candy aisle. There they are. The electric blue stands out among the various shades of brown chocolate and your tastebuds are reminded of a sweet, lip-puckering sensation. You quickly turn back towards the face lotions. No. You are strictly here on business. But somehow, and you really don’t know how, you leave with a bag of the magnetic all-blue Sour Patch Kids. Don’t worry. This is a common phenomenon across CVS establishments nationwide. Others have been tempted by the siren song of the blue Sour Patch Kid. You are one of many who have been swept up by the sugary supremacy of blue raspberry.

I am also a victim, and curious to understand the inescapable lure of sour blueness, I have conducted a brief investigation. The all-blue bag of Sour Patch Kids was launched in 2020. A survey on Sour Patch Kids’ Instagram blew up and millions of customers voiced their opinions on the best flavor of the candy. Overwhelmingly, people declared blue raspberry as their favorite. As promised, Sour Patch Kids released a limited edition all-blue bag later that summer. The “Just Blue” bag was so popular that it became a permanent product in 2021 (Spinney).

These are the basic facts. However, my search for the driving force behind the obsession over blue Sour Patch Kids is far from complete. To answer my question, I need historical context: the unabridged origin story of blue raspberry. Who is this delightfully mysterious flavor? Where did it come from? Why is it here?

            In the 1950s, before blue food coloring, Red Dye No. 2 ruled the candy industry. It was used to color almost every flavor from strawberry to cherry to watermelon. Growing public concerns regarding the health effects of consuming chemical dye prompted the United States FDA (Food and Drug Administration) to study the impact of Red Dye No. 2. Their initial findings suggested that the food coloring was linked to the development of cancerous tumors (Park). 

            Candy companies freaked out. Red Dye No. 2 was a staple for coloring their products. What were they going to do?

            Enter Blue Dye No. 1. Blue food coloring had long been overlooked. Occasionally used to make shades of purple or green for grape and lime-flavored sweets, blue never truly had a chance to shine on its own. However, even the now iconic flavor of blue raspberry is not entirely original.

            Due to a lack of naturally blue fruits, scientists were not sure how to transform Blue Dye No. 1 from neglected understudy to star of the show. Eventually, they decided to take a well-liked classic, raspberry, and give it an unconventional twist. Thus, blue raspberry was born. The first company to introduce blue raspberry products was Gold Medal. In the spring of 1958, they dropped blue raspberry flavoring for their shaved ice Sno-Kones. According to Gold Medal spokeswoman Heather Gims, blue raspberry continues to be a best-selling flavor. Later in 1970, the famous company ICEE released a blue raspberry beverage. The flavor soon joined Cherry and Coke as signatures of the brand (Park).

            Back to Sour Patch Kids. You may be wondering how we got from blue raspberry slushees to the “Just Blue” Sour Patch Kid takeover of the 2020s. The short and extremely human answer is nostalgia.

            Blue raspberry reminds many Americans of going to the movie theater. Of holding our parent’s hand and craning our necks to see over the candy counter. Of watching shiny, butter-soaked pieces of popcorn spill out of the kettle. Of begging for Sour Patch Kids AND an ICEE. Of getting a slight tummy ache after eating the Sour Patch Kids and drinking the ICEE. Of being swept up into a magical world where pandas are masters of martial arts and Nemo always finds his way back home. The zing of blue raspberry transports us back to childhood and the eye-watering tart sugar that coats Sour Patch Kids grounds us in the memory. The “Just Blue” bag embodies unbridled excitement; the kind of naïve boldness we all had as children, when we were authentic and pleased with everything life had to offer. We accepted the bad and the good for exactly what they were and simply rejoiced because the world was full of so much color and the promise of so much choice.

So, the next time you find yourself in the candy aisle of CVS, do not be ashamed by your love of blue Sour Patch Kids. Instead, indulge your inner child. Take pride in the fact that somewhere within you an unencumbered free spirit still exists. Relish in the shocking tang of your first bite and let artificial sweetness spread a smile across your face. Think back on movie theater memories, empty ICEE cups, blue tongues, and stomach aches. Embrace the genuine happiness that often comes from re-living the past and returning to innocence. You have the rest of your life to act mature and feel adult. For now, just savor the blue raspberry.


The author's comments:

This article is an exploration of the obsession with the blue Sour Patch Kid in the United States. I especially enjoy the blue raspberry flavor and was curious why it had become so popular. My investigation into this inquiry led me to a very simple and human answer.