An Honest Review On EVs: The Future of Transportation | Teen Ink

An Honest Review On EVs: The Future of Transportation

By 姜雨泽 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado
姜雨泽 BRONZE, Timnath, Colorado

We’ve all seen brand-new Teslas and other electric cars thinking: “Wow, they’re so cool and futuristic!” So, do you want to learn more about them? If so, read on!

We’ve all seen these technological marvels on the road, and some of us might have even experienced them personally. We live in a world where electric cars are becoming more popular. From brands like Tesla and Rivian to big brands like Chevrolet, Toyota, and Honda, all turning to electric cars, trying to catch up with the trend. No matter who you are, you require a car daily, and EVs are a great way to do it.

For people who drive gasoline cars, daily driving might be like turning on your loud engine and waking up everyone in the house or spending $80 on a gas refill. Electric car drivers might be losing charge because of cold weather or spending an hour at a charging station because their battery decided to die in the middle of a road trip. Regardless of which we choose to be our mode of transportation, these are what we use to commute, and each has advantages and disadvantages.

But just imagine if you had $100,000 to buy a car. Imagine all the choices that you would have. Would you want an EV or an ICE?

The people who review cars have positive opinions of electric cars. But when you see exactly what they are all about, you might change your mind about considering electric.

The History
Gustave Trouvé invented the electric car in the 1800s, and over the next century, electric vehicles from different manufacturers began popping up around the world. New York City even had a fleet of more than 60 electric taxis. By 1900, electric cars were at their prime, accounting for almost a third of all vehicles on the road. During the next 10 years, they continued to show strong sales.

Electric cars didn’t have any of the issues associated with steam or gasoline. They were quiet, easy to drive, and didn’t emit smelly pollutants like the other cars of the time. Electric cars quickly became popular with urban residents -- especially women. 

If you lived back then, they were perfect for short trips around the city, and tough roads outside cities meant no car could drive long distances anyway. As more people gained access to electricity in the 1910s, it became easier to charge electric cars,

But after the spike in popularity, WWI broke out and long-distance travel became more and more important. It then wasn’t until the 1990s that EVs made a comeback. From there on out, electric cars began to materialize into what they’re known as today.

The advantages
Today's EVs and PHEVs exceed 130 MPGe and can drive 100 miles consuming only 25–40 kWh of electricity. Electric vehicles can reduce fuel costs dramatically because of the high efficiency of electric motor components.

Although energy costs for electric vehicles are generally lower than for similar conventional vehicles, MSRPs can be a lot higher. But in many cases, Federal tax credits, state and utility incentives, or a combination of a few can save you a few bucks when you buy an EV. Maybe some money to get yourself some nice sneakers.

The interiors of electric cars are also more technologically advanced, with more screens, more features, and more minimalistic interiors, they make sure that your EV experience is as good as you’ve heard it is.

Now you’re probably worried about your battery having to be replaced, but most manufacturers have 8-year warranties for the battery and motor. As well as 4-year warranties for everything else in the car to give you a piece of mind.

The disadvantages

If you have to tow or carry lots of stuff on roof racks, you can forget about that, as electric cars can lose charge quickly if you put a bunch of stuff on them. Most electric cars can’t even tow. Though electric trucks like the Tesla Cybertruck and the Rivian R1T look promising, you still probably won’t be able to drive very far when you want to go on a road trip.

Speaking of road trips, you also can’t go on a road trip with an EV. Charging stations around the world aren’t as developed as gas stations. And even if there is a charging station, most take almost 2 hours to fully charge your battery, so don’t forget to bring a book. The only exception is Tesla, which has made a supercharger network around the USA, but it still has holes that need patching.

Mainstream EVs today are hitting the 180-250 miles range. That’s enough to make many day trips easy, but you’re limited by charging infrastructure. It’s also important to remember that the weather and your driving habits can impact your range.

And after you have finished charging your EV, your battery might, though surprisingly rare, decide to blow up on the highway which would be fatal. (Fun fact: most EV companies have partnered with refrigerator companies to cool their batteries to prevent that!) Also, who doesn’t like the roar of a car engine, rather than having nothing to satisfy your ears with?

The Impact
They have impacted traditional ICE car manufacturers who are struggling to catch up to companies like Tesla, or Rivian. Though some have made the smart move to start earlier, like Volkswagen, who started investing in electric technology in 2018, they aren’t that far behind. Other companies like Ford, Mercedes-Benz, and GM, have all made invested billions of dollars to speed up their advancement to electric.

They have slowly started to impact the oil industry as people are starting to lean toward electric cars, with energy experts anticipating an end to oil demand for transportation around the globe. At the same time though, the electric vehicle revolution could possibly grow the demand for oils to power plug-in cars (which run on both electricity and gas).

And because most emissions emitted in the USA are from cars and trucks. Scientists say EVs are one of the best ways to reduce global warming. All-electric vehicles emit an average of around 4,450 pounds of CO2 each year. Unlike conventional gasoline cars, which will emit over twice as much.

Why do people like them?
Electricity is almost the cheapest way of powering your car. In the US, the average cost of a kilowatt-hour of electricity is about 13.2 cents. A typical large EV such as the Tesla Model S will do 3 miles per kWh of charge, meaning you’re paying just 4.4 cents per mile traveled! Compare that to a typical sedan that does 25 MPG at the national average of $3-4 per gallon, you spend 80 cents per mile.

The servicing and maintenance are also a lot cheaper because you have a lot fewer moving parts under the hood. No oil changes, no spark plug changes, no rusting exhaust pipes, and so on so forth. Besides the basic wear-and-tear, the running costs are going to be a lot lower, no matter what electric car you choose.

Modern EVs are also way quicker than standard ICE cars. Take the Tesla Model 3 Performance as an example. With a 0–60 mph time of 3.2 seconds, it actually puts many supercars to shame. In fact, direct ICE competitors (in the same price range) would be lucky to do 60 mph in under 6 seconds.

An Honest Review on EVs, what else is there to say? Written in "Top 5" form.