Old Style Diner with a Twist | Teen Ink

Old Style Diner with a Twist

By emilyrislov BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
emilyrislov BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

Going out to eat and trying new restaurants is an activity that I thoroughly enjoy. Typically, I find myself returning to the same restaurant boring and repetitive. Either the environment or the experience doesn’t fit the mood or the food doesn’t satisfy. However, there is one place with an environment that always fits the summer mood and with a menu that could please any member of the family. Within the four to five months that the Kiltie remains open in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, the whole community (myself included) can’t seem to get enough.

When I drive under the large awning painted red and white and see the waitresses running around to everyone’s cars, my stomach begins to growl. The menu hanging off the awning appeals to all with its options ranging from burgers to chicken, to shrimp, to a tall cone of custard. As I roll down my window and feel a rush of summer air, I can hear the music playing and the people laughing; it is a lively, pleasant place to be.

From anybody passing along the road and peering into the Kiltie atmosphere, they could see elated kids sitting with their parent’s trunks open eating their ice cream sundaes, friends sitting at the picnic tables, and multitudes of cars under the large awning with many people inside enjoying themselves, and their food. As I child, I have enjoyed ice cream in my parent’s trunk with my sister, but have also sat at the outdoor picnic tables, or shared a meal in the driver’s seat. With many options for your own personal dining experience, the Kiltie is hardly found to be a disappointing experience.

As it comes time to order the friendly waitress will come to your window and take your order. It is difficult to choose with all of the options given. But for me, it is hard to turn down a burger. Every time they have arrived perfectly prepped, with a delicious, juicy patty and all of the fixings you prefer. The fries are also perfectly crispy and topped with a seasoning that is loved by many. The kids’ menu shares these options, but in smaller portions. If you’re not feeling in the mood for a burger, the Kiltie would welcome you to try their chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, shrimp baskets, or onion rings.

There is one part of the Kiltie experience that cannot be forgotten - the custard. Offering cones stacked with an extravagant swirl of vanilla or chocolate ice cream ranging from three to six inches tall, the whole family would be impressed. Not only that, but their sundae menu is almost as big as their food menu. My personal favorite is the banana split, which I often find hard to finish.

When it comes time to pay the bill you may see a slight frown on the buyer’s face. The experience and food are unforgettable, and unfortunately, the bill for a “fried-food” place might be as well. In my childhood experiences at the Kiltie, I have heard my grandma and my uncle, as well as a few of my friends, complain a couple of times at how much they charge. Although it is not outrageous, it might be considered slightly overpriced by some. Along with that, customers are required to pay in cash. So before you pay a visit, make sure to double check that you are going prepared.

Overall, the Kiltie is a one of a kind restaurant that is famous locally and packs an unforgettable experience with delicious food and ice cream for everyone. I would strongly suggest that everyone gives it a try but knows what to expect.

This piece was inspired by my childhood experience at one of the best restaurants in town.