I Am a Revolution | Teen Ink

I Am a Revolution

January 11, 2019
By Riri-chan SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
Riri-chan SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The writing titled I Am a Revolutionary, written by Anonymous, talks about the struggles of being a person in the LGBTQ+ community. Their writing left me feeling down right terrified because I know what can happen to people who are part of this community, but I also felt empowered since I can help make this community safer. I can relate to this story extremely, which might sound sad. It might sound sad that I used to think I had to hide one of the biggest parts of my identity from everyone, but that's what almost every queer/trans kid thinks. I even remember similar times when the scenario in the article happened to me. The author says, "...he came up to me on the first day of practice frantic because he didn't know what name to tell the coach,". The amount of anxiety I've had over trying to figure out what to tell others is unimaginable. Telling someone your name shouldn't be an issue, telling someone who you love shouldn't be an issue, and the fact the author says, "LGBTQ+ kids are almost five times more likely to attempt suicide," should never ever be an issue. This article talks about how this person is a revolutionary. They're not the only one, everyone who fights for my community is part of the revolution too. Someday everyone will be revolutionary.