Acid Rain | Teen Ink

Acid Rain

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

The droplets burn through my skin,
But I do not whine;
Pain and suffering begin
Yet it is all fine.

My flesh melts like a candle
Burned by fervent fire;
But what I cannot handle
Than pain far more dire

Is having the heart all bare
And burning apart;
The flesh may melt--I don't care--
But oh, not the heart.
But what

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much, DawnieRae.

DawnieRae BRONZE, Lancaster, Ohio
This is a great poem! I really like it! 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you as always. The last line I confess was an error. But like I told SaphiraBrightscales, this typo didn't prevent this poem from receving an Editors' Choice. Isn't that amazing? Thanks.

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

I really liked your piece, and the way you've written it, but I don't get your last line 'but what', does that mean something, or is it an error? Anyway, I'd rate this 4/5! 

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Hahaha yes!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Gotta love those mistakes that sometimes lead us to the greatest accomplishments in life, no? xD

- Maya Angelou

You're most welcome! Hahaha look at all my typos up there!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

The last line was a typo. But hey, it for me an editors' choice! But thank you!

- Maya Angelou

That was one clever way of saying what you just said here, But te lsat line left me a bit vague...I dunno...Maybe I didn't get it that's all....And the rhyme again: Awesome! Loved the way ou used "Whine" and "fine"...

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

So happy you loved it! Thank you.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

The rhythm of this poem was exquisite! The comparison between acid rain on the skin and a burning heart was painful and breathtaking. Excellent I loved it :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm ecstatic that you liked it.

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

I really appreciate the subject of the poem, which is nicely highlighted by the rhyme scheme. There was  lot of melting imagery, and I got the idea that all the speaker's walls and barriers were being washed away, leaving, as you wrote, "the heart all bare."  Opeanness can be terrifying. Lovely poem.