Bullets | Teen Ink

Bullets

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

They pierce through skin, old
And wrinkled or infantile—
Everyone’s fair game.

II.
They pierce through skin, black,
Red, yellow, brown, white also—
Everyone’s fair game.

III.
They pierce through skin, man’s
Or woman’s—boy’s or girl’s too—
Everyone’s fair game.

IV.
They pierce through skin, Jew-
Ish, Islamic, and Christian—
Everyone’s fair game.

V.
They pierce through skin, straight
Or homosexual—yes,
Everyone’s fair game

I had written this poem in April of this year, little knowing of the tragedies caused by gun violence that would occur thereafter. Gun violence is something that affects everyone of every race and class and unfortunately—as we have recently learned—of every age. Everyone is fair game, according to gun violence. It is up to us to prevent further tragedies caused by gun violence.

haley101 DIAMOND, Windsor, Connecticut

“Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this too, was a gift.”

― Mary Oliver

your thoughts in your poems are so awesome. you write about things that not many people have the courage to write about. equality, and the fact that everyone is subject to prejudice. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, Chichot123. That's very moving for you to say that this poem is moveing to you. Write on as well! Always, always, always.

ChocolateLove SILVER, Warsaw, Other
This is a great and trully moving poem. Write on!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

You just made my day today. You're so nice. And just as talented. 

Kris_10 GOLD said...
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

I might not know much, but I do know you have true talent!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

You just keep on making my day. Thank you. I'll try never to stop; it won't be easy, but I think the world just might hold a place for me in writing just like it does for you.

Kris_10 GOLD said...

I can't stop reading your poems. They're so natural and meaningful. Never stop writing!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

You are one of the kindest people to ever rate and comment on my work. Thank you. Thank you is too little to even describe what I fell and want to tell you. I'm so grateful that there are people who truly find my work worth reading let alone saying that it's good or expectional. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

The more work of yours that I read, the more pleased with your writing and skills I am! This is soooo great! I wish that more people would see this. It really made me think, and I hope it does/did the same for other people. Once again, great job! You're great! Xx!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow, thank you! :)

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

This was a very thought provoking piece. I think it's very true and the repetiton you used was very skillful.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you for thinkng so.

EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

This is a truely thought provoking poem about an issue people never really want to adress in detail. I like how you listed skin colors as more than just black and white. You really captured the diversity of those effected by gun tradgedies. This is a beautiful poem.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Aww, thank you. Glad you liked it.

crazyShruti BRONZE, Haridwar, New York

Life is about trusting your feelings and taking chances, losing and finding happiness, appreciating the memories, learning from the past, and realizing people change.

Nicee work.. i like u think in that way. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you.

Soccer23 GOLD said...
Soccer23 GOLD, Rockton, Illinois

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
Lao Tzu

Very well written. 5 stars

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm glad it made you feel that way. Thank you.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you for the encouraging comment. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much. Glad you love it.