You're Smart But | Teen Ink

You're Smart But MAG

By meritbadge GOLD, Edison, New Jersey
meritbadge GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

98, written,
On your Pre-Calc test. You curse
Off those last two points.

His low GPA
Your arrogant grin. “Oh, he's
One of the dumb ones.”

I see you punching
Numbers in calculators
Wounds in people's hearts

To a boy who mistakingly puts studying before friendship.

avaavez BRONZE said...
avaavez BRONZE, Oullaville, Indiana
I agree that friends can be more important than grades at times because sometimes we need people to talk with. But, having an attitude to where you think, “’Oh, he's One of the dumb ones.’” To someone who may not understand things as well as others is not how I roll. I disagree because not all smart people are as arrogant. I am smart and have friends, not a bunch, but still. This poem makes me wonder if other people think I am also arrogant, which I am not.

Athena19 SILVER, Central Point, Oregon

'Love people. Cook them tasty food.' -Penzey's Spices

I can totally relate! I had a friend like this, who was always too busy for friends, and it can be really exasperating!

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

It's a good piece really , but I agree with nana79music91, some smart are so caring that they make it their goal to help others out as much as they can..I have a friend who helped all her other friends, she solves like ten or more people's study problems...I try to do that too,..she's too perfect though..It's hard to be like her.. But I sure do like the poem! Congratulations for gettin it published!

nana79music91 SILVER, Adkins, Texas

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

I agree yet disagree, if that makes any sense... I agree that friends can be more important than grades, at times. But I dissagree because not all smart people are as oblivious or snooty as he is. I am smart and have friends, not a lot mind you, but still... I am quite reserved so its hard for me to make new friends, but this poem makes me wonder if other people think I'm snooty or just shy...  

yemkae BRONZE said...
yemkae BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina

" A sucsessful person is one that has built a foundation of bricks that other people have trown at them"

i disagreev because feiends come and go but your education will always be there, and when people see how educated you are they wiil respect you and want to becme your frends  

BlackFTW said...
BlackFTW, Seattle, Washington

Everything I say is a lie.

No offence, but obviously this person takes pride in their work. It's not always a bad thing...

BalladOfMonaLisa PLATINUM, Na, Other

To love and to be loved; to hurt and to be hurt. These are the ideals that make up humanity. ~Me (Lisa)

yup. we just have to wait until then.

Skeezics GOLD said...
Skeezics GOLD, Eatonville, Washington

A childs voice, however honest and true, is meaningless to those who have forgotten how to listen.
Everyone faces obsticals. What defines you is how you overcome them. -J.R. Celski

exactly. its hard but we have to just face each day with a grain of salt and know that it will get better someday

BalladOfMonaLisa PLATINUM, Na, Other

I agree with you as well. M ost people don't like me as me, and they just want to change me. Some "friends" aren't really friends at all. I learned that the hard way. My parents are really protective too, and they don't want me to talk to anyone they don't know, which makes it harder to make friends.

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Niether did I , It's saying that friendship is more important that Studying...

.king. SILVER said...

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

I kinda disagree, I'm a quite very quiet person...  Girls just giggle and play around all throughout class, I've never spoke 2 niether of them. Even tho I try 2 be freindly people push me away, I've been going 2 classes for 2 years now. And the last time I've tried 2 be freindly and shoke thier hands, I totally regret it even tho I know it's a bad thing. Knowlege beats Freindship... In my mind no1's born 2 be loved no1's born 2 be hated... I've only had 1 best friend during my Whole life, she moved away so it's like I have none.

GreaterUnknown BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
This poem generalizes "smarter" people as arrogant. Sure, I agree that good grades doesn't always mean that you are smart, but not all "smart" people are snotty like that.

umadbro BRONZE said...
umadbro BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
I don't get it.

Alyssa897 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
good way to express you'r anger toward bad grades!

JayClay2 BRONZE, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Deep and amazing but really true. I really like it. :)

GingerLily BRONZE, Aulnay-sur-Mauldre, Other

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world" - Oscar Wilde

This is really true. You capture that concept perfectly . . . A person's value in society shouldn't depend on their grades.

Wildflower30 SILVER, Kolkata, Other

Create your own sayings, for only then do they make sense most. ---- Me

This is really amazing.

IamtheshyStargirl PLATINUM, Lothlorien, Utah

Boredom instigates extreme creativity.
~Amoniel

"Bowing gratefully to all of my subjects, 'thank you. Thank you. The pleasure is mine." Nah, I'm just kidding. We're all kings together.'"
~Thesilentraven

I really like this.

mgraves GOLD said...
mgraves GOLD, St. Louis, Missouri
Wonderful! This is how I always felt about arrogant honors students in high school. I never had the guts to say that they live in their own little worlds that seclude those who don't have perfect GPAs. I had a lot of things going on in my personal life in high school and my GPA suffered, but people don't realize that grades don't always reflect on a person's intelligence. Thank you for shining the light on this misconception in such a simple and elegant manner!

Nevah GOLD said...
Nevah GOLD, Horseheads, New York
This is beautifully written. I espicially liked how the stanzaas are haikus. I thought this was put together quite nicely. Great job!