Glasses | Teen Ink

Glasses

By Jtatsu PLATINUM, East Brunswick, New Jersey
Jtatsu PLATINUM, East Brunswick, New Jersey

I used to live in a display case

With many others like myself.

I remember incandescent light streaming in through the glass,

And thousands of groping fingers

Caressing my legs and frame.

Now my nights are shrouded in darkness,

Enclosed in a tomb

With only a dry lens cloth to keep me company.

I hear a loud clack,

And see natural light streaming in

And anticipate the fingers grasping at my legs.

Finally! She's bringing out the lens cloth

Rubbing at my eyes, clearing my vision.

She yawns and places me in front of her squinting eyes,

Making her vision and mine become one. 

The blurry world becomes clear to me

As I sit comfortably on the bridge of her nose,

Awaiting the day in front of me. 

remmerson52 BRONZE, Nesconset, New York

Have an attitude of gratitude.

Oh my goodness! I can see the similarities between Plath's "Mirror" and yours! That poem is actually one of my favorites and as I was reading yours I could sense something familiar...no wonder! I think this poem is fantastic - I love your deep imagery and just the writing as a whole!

shinelikastar SILVER, Ann Arbor, Michigan

Run my dear,
From anything
That may not strengthen
Your precious budding wings

I love this so much!

Thank you all for your kind comments! To respond specifically to @Thefanatasticagirlie101 this poem was actually inspired after reading Sylvia Plath's "Mirror," a poem that uses a similar idea with personification. Anyway, I'm glad that you guys enjoyed my poem, please keep writing, and enjoy the holidays, wherever you are!

writer-violist DIAMOND, Jenks, Oklahoma

“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Wow! This is absolutely amazing! As other users have mentioned, I really like how you use the simple concept of glasses and made it so unique with a sense of personification. I would say that you accurately describe what it is to be a pair of glasses. I enjoy your word usage and the line spacing. It is a great story within the poem. The line, "Making her vision and mine become one" really speaks to me because I can just imagine that and it is so accurate. Amazing job with the piece and idea. I'd like to see more of your work. Please keep writing and God bless! :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

Once again, I'm thoroughly impressed with you. How you have the talent and wit and fortitude to make it sound like glasses have an interesting and slightly traumatizing life, I have no clue. This is incredible, love it!

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

I love the concept of this poem and how you effortlessly humanized a pair of every-day glasses. I actually wish this poem were longer, since I know you could do so much with the idea. Keep writing. :)

Thefanatasticagirlie101 SILVER, Euless, Texas

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our mind. That's what I hope to give you forever." ~The Notebook

This is very good. You are so talented. I love the imagery you use throughout the poem, because it helps the reader visualize what's going on. Next time, you could use more alliterations and repetition, it would be even better than it already is. How did you come up with the inspiration to write this poem by the way? I really, really love it!