So Separated | Teen Ink

So Separated

By ShortStuff303 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado
ShortStuff303 SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

"Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it turned into a butterfly."- Anonymous

We are in the same grade
We come from the same house
No we are not the same gender,
But we are family...
So I ask you,
Why is it when we walk out those doors, that we part ways?
Why is it we are treated differently?
Why can't we be proud to be related?
Why can't we have eachothers' backs?
Why is it that we can't have the same relations at all times?
You have your life and I have mine...
I just always hoped they wouldn't be so separated.

My brother and I are 8 months apart. We are step siblings, but that never changed anything. He had always acted like my big brother until we were put in the same school. Even though we were so close none of that seemed to matter to him. It was hard, and still is watching people look at us so differently and not being able to do anything about it.

Thank you that really means a lot to me. There absolutely was deeper meaning in this piece and that's why it was so easy and important forr me to write it.at I can help myself make understanding of what is happening to me in my life. I feel as though I share this with the world so th

ShadowBlossom ELITE, Boca Raton, Florida

Memento Mori- It means that nothing lasts forever, no one is immortal, sooner or later you will die and things will come to an end. It also helps you realize that while you are living you should do the most with your life, live life to the fullest.

I find it amazing when someone has a sibling, as I had lost mine and we never had the opprotunity to grow close or create a bond.  Yet the siblings I see are rarely close, hating each other, ignoring them, not caring for them, or wanting to be near them.  Just keep trying, you can never give up on family, especially your sibling, blood related or not.

Armadeus_Zoolitzer GOLD, Ratter Corner, Other

"Arose by any other name is still the past tense of arise." Steve Patterson on CBC's The Debators "The devil's greatest trick was chopping the water into separate bathtubs. Then attaching claws to those bathtubs." Bob Schofield's The Inevitable June

This poem is really good. You say it's about your relationship with your brother. It's wonderful that you can put that kind of personal feelings, experiences, and emotions in your poetry and be brave enough to send it out into the world. A lot if people hide from their emotions. Poets can't be afraid to feel. But poetry can also be interpreted in many different ways. And to me this poem compared your relationship with your brother to how everyone in the world treats each other. It spoke of a universal brotherhood. "Why can't we be proud to be related?" As a species, humans have always felt the need to segregate. One group pushing itself away from or try to exterminate another group. When, if you think about it, we're all just humans. Flesh and bone. All the same in the inside, no matter the race, sex, nationality, religion, or whatever else on the outside. Why can't we be proud to be related, and try to live in peace and work together? Great work, this poem seems like it has one message on the surface, and you did a great job at studying that. But I feel like this poem has a deeper meaning. I'm not sure if maybe you meant for that deeper meaning or not, but you did a great job anyway. I love when stories have unintentional symbolism. Lord of The Flies, a classic, has tons of symbolism the author didn't intend, but it's there. Other than the possible deeper meaning, which I had a lot of fun thinking about, this poem also had a good rhythm and was very easy to read. I liked it. Well done.