My Baby | Teen Ink

My Baby

July 17, 2014
By EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
81 articles 5 photos 1486 comments

Favorite Quote:
To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.


You may
even
now hate
me,
because I let
you
go,
my child.
But I still
love you,
little
one.

I loved
you,
so much,
that
I gave
you
to people
who care,
so you could
have
a better
life.

It hurt
me
more than
you
know,
to give
a part
of me
away,
when I
wanted
to
hug you,
and kiss
you
and your
small, beautiful
fingers
and toes.

I wanted
you
to have
a better
life,
than I
had.
You deserve,
so
much.

I want
you
to know,
that I'll
always
love you,
and that
when you
lost
me,
I
lost you.

You'll
always
be
my baby.


The author's comments:
This poem is for those who have never known their birth mothers and/or for those who feel like they don't know their mothers. I'm trying to write this from a mother's point of view, of how hard it is to give her child or children away and also, that her baby will always be her baby. I'm adopted, and when I wrote this poem I was thinking how did my birth mother feel when she had to give a part of her away? How did she feel when she had to give her baby away? I tried to write for a mother's point of view, which I hope did or almost did. Your mother loves you and if you're adopted, the reasons mightn't have been because she didn't love you. It might have been because she loved you so much, that she let you and me go, so we could have a better life. I hope my poem helps you, and if my birth mother should ever happen to read this, I want you to know your baby/babies still love. And that I understand that when I lost you, you lost me.