My Baby | Teen Ink

My Baby

By EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia
EmilytheBelleofA. DIAMOND, Athens, Georgia

To love is to be vulnerable; Triumph is born out of struggle; We notice shadows most when they stand alone in the midst of overwhelming light.

You may
even
now hate
me,
because I let
you
go,
my child.
But I still
love you,
little
one.

I loved
you,
so much,
that
I gave
you
to people
who care,
so you could
have
a better
life.

It hurt
me
more than
you
know,
to give
a part
of me
away,
when I
wanted
to
hug you,
and kiss
you
and your
small, beautiful
fingers
and toes.

I wanted
you
to have
a better
life,
than I
had.
You deserve,
so
much.

I want
you
to know,
that I'll
always
love you,
and that
when you
lost
me,
I
lost you.

You'll
always
be
my baby.

This poem is for those who have never known their birth mothers and/or for those who feel like they don't know their mothers. I'm trying to write this from a mother's point of view, of how hard it is to give her child or children away and also, that her baby will always be her baby. I'm adopted, and when I wrote this poem I was thinking how did my birth mother feel when she had to give a part of her away? How did she feel when she had to give her baby away? I tried to write for a mother's point of view, which I hope did or almost did. Your mother loves you and if you're adopted, the reasons mightn't have been because she didn't love you. It might have been because she loved you so much, that she let you and me go, so we could have a better life. I hope my poem helps you, and if my birth mother should ever happen to read this, I want you to know your baby/babies still love. And that I understand that when I lost you, you lost me.

Thank you so much! Your comment has encouraged me, a lot. I'm glad that I was able to put what I wanted to put, in my poem. Thank you so much, again.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Wonderful job with this! I absolutely love your technique in this poem; the words seem to drip down the page like teardrops, as if the mother narrator of the story is actually crying for her baby. I can feel the pain in each word as well. Well done, I think this is brilliantly carried out :) 

You're welcome, though it should be me thanking you for reading my poem. Thank you for your comment and reading my poem. Your comment encouraged me. Thank you so much.

nabila1379 SILVER, Solo, Other

"Always be yourself, express yourself, have a faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." - Bruce Lee

I like this. I love this. I don't know the feeling of being adopted or being an orphan, and I know they say I have a perfect life. I may not be able to feel the same way, but I think I can imagine how a mother feels when she let her baby go. Thank you for this.