Kaleidoscope | Teen Ink

Kaleidoscope

By MountainWriter SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona
MountainWriter SILVER, Flagstaff, Arizona

The world spins. Faster. Faster. Jump on quickly, lest you be left behind. The globe has evolved into web of glistening threads spun by a teenager who uses Khan Academy to study calculus, by a bullied boy who found on Born This Way Foundation that he was never really alone, and by a writer who published her own eBook on Amazon.

Let yourself be swept away in the ever flowing current. Who would want to be sitting on the banks, throwing stones? Not me. I prefer to splash in the water. I prefer to make waves that sweep everyone away with me. We can change the world. We can micro lend our allowance on Kiva to a young woman in Pakistan so she can buy two baby goats to help feed her family. Countless children were rescued by the Kony 2012 organization. Get wet, like a family that uses Facebook or Flickr to stay connected. Go online and tell our Arizona senators John McCain and Jeff Flake what you think they need to know. Give feedback to the young writer who publishes her words on Teenink. If your work takes you away overnight, be the parents who Skype to read bedtime stories to their children.

I know it seems optimistic, but a fire begins with a spark. A river begins with a snowflake. You are a spark, a snowflake. We can check the newspaper of the small town where our grandparents grew up. We can watch Martin Luther King tell us about his dream on YouTube. We can buy clothing made in the USA even if the store is across the country. We can earn food for families in Africa while enriching our vocabulary on Freerice. We can see how our Representatives in Congress are serving us on House.gov. We can all be Abraham Zapruder. We can all be Malala Yousafzai.
The internet is like a kaleidoscope. As you spin it, the next image is more and more beautiful than the last. So change your point of view. Change it, and change it again. The world is colorful now.