Once a Year | Teen Ink

Once a Year

By StarGazer9 GOLD, Marana, Arizona
StarGazer9 GOLD, Marana, Arizona

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you know in your heart you were meant to do."

Once a year the people sing aloud in one great voice They throw aside their differences together and rejoice For Christmas Day is one, for them, to make the better choice Once a year, they are happy Once a year, they are happy They get their Christmas lists crossed off,they look for the best price They try to find a gift that, for their loved ones, will suffice The little children wonder "Who's been naughty?" "Who's been nice?" Once a year, they start giving Once a year, they start giving Christmas morn, oh the glory! Oh the smiles that they see Oh the presents and the joy that fill the households with such glee As the familys gather round about the lighted Christmas Tree Once a year, they find peace Once a year, they find peace Parents go back to their day jobs, children go back to their schools Worldly things that were forgotten come to light with the old rules People simply live their lives then, sometimes they can seem quite cruel Once a year isn't enough Once a year isn't enough But there are few who live their lives in Christmas morn each day They're the ones who keep on singing "Need some help?" "I'm on my way!" For their friends and for their enemies they never cease to pray Every second they are happy Every second they are giving Every second they find peace They're the ones who's Christmas spirit is forever there to stay

Added Dec. 25, 2015

And so that is my story, friends, of those examples dear

Of family and strangers who've kept true Christmas joy near

Surely they understood the sacrifice made years ago

By one we call our Savior, and who surely loves us so

It's difficult to comprehend what exactly occured

And just how difficult it was beginning in a manger

But even those who don't quite know that annual Christmas tale

Can have the chance to feel His love sent for them through the veil

This Christmas and forever don't forget that little babe

Who'd come to save both you and me and who's love is unstayed

That Christ-like love that shines through us was meant to be shared

Be strong and of good courage, go and spread it everywhere!

Merry Christmas all! Remember, we don't only have to be kind and caring once a year. Why not... every day?