if the skies will not have me | Teen Ink

if the skies will not have me

By Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana
Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

these dead grasses hold
my body,
peel around my pale arms, curl around
my legs
I lie within the shards of green blades, letting them
cut me and slice away at
my mind,
and the sky grows dark with fury at the
injustice of my
fate,
but the clouds’ arms are not long enough
to wrap me in cool tendrils
of morning
mist,
and alleviate my slow-going demise
that the hungry earth
has allotted
me,
they enwrap me in prickly vines and thorn-speckled
flowers, beautiful because of their
wickedness
and I can all but lay there and accept it
because I was born of
the dust
and to dust I will
return,
lest the skies adopt me as one of
their own, then I
will have found another
home.

it's a metaaaaphor, oooooh :P

Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

It is always such a please to read your poems, Jade. This one, too, induces this strange gloomy feeling in me. The imagery is crystal clear, and complements your metaphor brilliantly. Awesome job!

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

― Charles Bukowski

yeah, you're exactly right :) thanks for reading!

StarlitSunrise DIAMOND, Clemmons, North Carolina

"Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing." ~Camille Pissarro

First off, I must say that I really do like this poem. Second off, I can't help but want to try my hand at cracking your metaphor. :P Am I correct in thinking that the earth represents the sinful nature of man, as well as the corruption of and by the world, and the skies represent God/heaven? That is honestly just a shot in the dark, but I couldn't resist. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

This is by far one of your best, pimp. I'm really loving this poem right now. Your imagery is impeccable as well as your wording. The metaphor is one that captivates me and makes me meditate a little more on life. Congrats on the Editors' Choice; girl, you deserve it! I'm loving the style here too.  

Carpe-Caffeam GOLD, No Where, Florida

“If it weren’t for the coffee, I’d have no identifiable personality whatsoever.” –David Letterman

Seriously, this was UH MAZ ING. Just the immaculate personification and imagery and vocabulary and AHHH THE WORD CHOICE. Like, I feel like an English teacher who's died and gone to a Burger King in heaven...so deserving of that Editor's Choice. XD Excellent job!