Ode to My Character | Teen Ink

Ode to My Character

By nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming
nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

When I open this notebook
And begin to writing from your point of view,
I feel like I have peeled out of my own skin
And stepped into yours.
I left myself on a hook back in reality
Like a coat

I see the world through your eyes
I hear what you hear
Smell the things you smell
And I feel everything you touch,
And every emotion you have.
Sometimes when I look in the mirror I am surprised to see my face.
Not yours.

But I do wonder…
Are you a reflection of me?
We are far from being the same person.
I nursed you until you learned how to breathe.
I began telling your story
But now you tell it to me.
I just pin it down.
Is it a distorted version of my own life I am referencing?

You’re my best friend
But we’ve never met.
You’re made of ink, paper and words.
I, your parent, consist of flesh and blood.
Oh my dear, how I love writing from your point of view!
And I will be sad when our partnership ends.

Fear not, like a flower you are pressed in between these pages.
You are safe for all eternity.
You are immortal.
I am not.
I must go on and taste life.
Create more imaginary people like you.
I will grow old while you live on for both of us.

Just showing a little love to our imaginary friends?

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Soon it shall be as great as any meme to ever be a part of the World Wide Web! TROLOLOLOLOLO.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Haha! I'll phone Naria too!

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

It will surely catch on...FOR I SHALL SPREAD THE WORD FROM SEA TO SEA. FROM HORIZON TO HORIZON. FROM CITY TO KINGDOM. FROM...I guess I'll tell my friends...XD

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Cotticons. *boom* Just waiting for it to catch on.

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

The first stanza pulled me in, the middle stanzas were great too, but there is nothing to be said for the last that could say how great it was. And the last line is exactly the way any last line in a poem should be. Simply spectacular. And nice theme. I like your style of writing. It is quite distinguishable. 

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Why thank you! You're right. The "and" is a little unnessary.

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

the last line is creative and divine! and great figures of speech throughout, esp. "you're made of ink, paper..." was cool. but do you think the use of 'and' is appropriate in the last line of your 4th stanza? maybe i'm wrong, but check it out. but a nice piece overall. :)

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

Muggles? Hmm...too Harry Potter-ish. You're right. We should definitely come up with a name for non-writers. Agh, I can't think of anything!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Wow, can't believe I just made you tear up! Haha! Thank you very much! I'd love to read the simular peice you've written! And 'sokay. Everyone thinks they take it to far sometimes. You'd be surprised how often non-writers understand (glob, we need to come up with a name for 'em all...Like muggles! But different! Hehe!) For example I recently went to Camp Wyoba (wrote a peice on that too if you'd like to read it :3) and oh. my. gob. it was like all my "roomates" shutup and took a vacation of there own so it was just God and I. When I told my mother she seemed to get it. Anyhow, I'm glad you enjoyed my work. Keep writing. I enjoy yours too :)

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

Wow, I'm tearing up a little bit...Good job! I love the way you've somehow conveyed a message that we can all relate to. I've written something similar to this but not as good. IMAGINARY FRIENDS RULE! Who care if people think I'm crazy? But I think I take it too far. XD

Stella_Val_Illicia GOLD, Salt Lake City, Utah

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and been widely regarded as a bad idea."
--Douglas Adams

I felt like I was reading a summary of my life... wow. This really makes me feel everything you've written. There aren't many pieces I read that make me feel that kind of emotion, so thanks for writing this :) It's amazing.

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Why thank you! What was that last bit you said?

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

i'm awestruck. And you tell me you don't know much poetry? you're kidding, this was just beautiful! the last two lines are simply chilling. "i left myself on a hook back in reality like a coat' was an incredible line. You know writing, I'd like more!