Graduation | Teen Ink

Graduation

By Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Long, milky fingers wave at

saddened smiles

And tears laced with black, drip down

painted faces

This is our goodbye
This is our farewell

A thundering sky spits acid at us
and it's melancholy rays melt in with my own bleak acid

protruding from my swollen, red eyes

Heavy feet pound hot pavement

each sound resounding in departure

Camera flashes and video tapes rolling
memories soon to be forgotten

But I will never forget
For each tear I cry
And "I love you" is said
For each step away
A new pathway ahead.
Goodbye.

This month had been really hard for me, actually the whole year. I am leaving people behind and letting people go. But I love them, my school and every laugh and memory shared there. Not to mention all the tears shed led up to graduation. So even now, as i feel my heart slowly breaking and summer teaming just around the corner, goodbye. <3?

Angel_B GOLD said...
Angel_B GOLD, Summit, Illinois

what doesn't kill you makes you strong

wow this really made me want to cry because it made me remember how i felt on my graduation, This is an awesome poem

AcidRoses SILVER, Elmont, New York

"Many that live deserve death and some that have died deserve life, can you give that to them? Do not be to hasty to deal out death and judgement, even the very wise cannot see all ends."

"Can't get no more free randy!"

Wish I could relate to the feeling. 1 more year to go! I could feel the emotion. another great poem :)

Court901 BRONZE, Magnolia, Texas

"Imagniation is not a talent of some people, but it is the health of every person" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I felt every word you wrote. I recently graduated as well so I know exactly what you're talking about. Great way of putting all those feelings.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Wyoming? I've never envisioned myself going there. But skiing does sound cool. And I agree. Whenver well finally "grow up", we must book sign and have lavish soirees with a ton of other artists, like the writers and artists of back then would do. And Florence Welch's voice—maybe even presence, if we're ever that big or rick—WOULD BE FRIGGIN AWESOME. 

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Thanks for the sympathy :D And You're welcome. i always LOVE to read your stuff Livy-loo! hahaha, maybe.... I think the first year I'm basically very reserved--too much as in... and then when I finally get settled, it is time to leave ...Ah well ...

Will do! You know last night i had a dream that we met in Wyoming of all places and we went skiing. It was awesome. Haha sorry that was random. We should have book signing parties together in addition to our movie parties and Florence parties. Shake it out Mckay :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I dunno where Life will take me. But I will write, even if no one likes my writing. And you can have autographed copies of my work(s), assuming I do become a writer. And the favor must be returned. You're an amazing writer too. You must sign your work for me. ^u^

Thanks Dua. That really means a lot that you can relate to my poem. Wow an army doctor! I have never moved houses i have moved schools and its terrible but you eventually get used to it. I guess in your case its a little different. Well, my condolences for you having to move so much. Thanks for our feedback and story. It's great that you can relate and i can learn more about you! But I know that you seem like the kinda person that could rock hose schools! With much love, Olivia. Keep rockin Dua

- Maya Angelou

Ah, Liv! Remarkable. Though I have not graduated yet, I cannot completely understand the sense in which you meant for it to be. Saying I can would be unjust. Yet I can relate to it in a very different way. You see, I've  been moving every two years ever since I was born, my Dad being an army doctor, we move and move and now it's as if that's a part of life, as people would say, moving ever so many times would have made me immune to the pain every move accompanies, yet I must with regret state that it does not. At least not in my case it never has. I've been changing schools all my life and still every single effing time, it hurts even more than the last. Your descriptions and this imagery is so full of life that my head was swimming with all those memories of when I had to leave. Truly it is a most vexating feeling, and yet loving to travel so much and in anticipation of meeting new people and seeing new places and new things, I am always slightly excited too, my sentiments and amalgam of sorrow and hope. And your poem truly captured both of those. I must say the last stanza is my favourite. It made my eyes tear. It has that shred of hope which makes the whole poem shine. And Congratulations on graduation and my condolences on having to leave. Love always. Dua.

Lexus! I miss you too! Thank you for your amazing feedback! You did move right? Was it from Alabama to New Mexico? I can't remeber. Thanks for relating to this poem it means so much and as far as my new school is, i will keep you posted :) thanks again and keep rockin

Mckay, Mckay, Mckay, thank you endlessly for all the wonderful feedback you have given me these past few months. And congrats on graduating high school!! Are you going to be a poet? Because if you are I want autographed copies of everything. :) thank you again and keep rockin

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey Liv! I miss you! The emotion in here is very expressionistic. While this is about graduating, I can relate on another level as far as moving away and it is very difficult to say goodbye. This felt really natural and real. And I know how you feel about this from what we've talked about, but reading this poem made it more personal. But, I've told you plenty of times that you're going to do great wherever you go and this was a step, though difficult, to your path, as you said. I really enjoyed the set-up, it was unique. And your descriptions are applaudable. Wonderful job, my friend. I look forward to hearing about your new school!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I love this poem. Especially the feeling of letting go yet at the same time describing the feeling of new hope of the unexpected future. I'm at this stage right now, where I officially graduated high school. So I know what this is like. That feeling of having to let go. I love the imagery you used. "milky fingers"—it conveys sadness that the poem is asking for. Well done, Sistah. Keep writing and rocking as you always tell me, even in the midst of much sadness. I wish you well during the these time that seem hard.