Ahava | Teen Ink

Ahava

By AliceinWonderland13 GOLD, Dallas, Texas
AliceinWonderland13 GOLD, Dallas, Texas

I kissed the corner of a prayer book
before I ever kissed a boy.
Swinging limply on worn rubber
soles captured brusquely in your
cinnamon eyes (they sparked in holy
water, those frayed wires),
I discovered the hollowness of bones
and the fragility of theism.
I composed soliloquys to the joy
of giving up while you somehow/where/day
learned the taste of strawberry
in lamplight. This is where we
two separately discovered we were not,
as I once thought, pebbles stacked
and stable, their angle of repose
unreached as of yet, still waiting to crumble
under the weight of affirmation. Hear,
O Israel, the lord is our God, and
God is dead. I am cobblestone, and
you are a hooved lullaby (we are the grass
in the cracks). We are not dead yet.

Ahava is the Hebrew word for love. This poem started off being about my Judaism, but ended up being about a boy I like who I met at temple. Funny how things work out.

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! I tend to do research on religions from time to time just because I find it very interesting. And I actually just looked up to see the difference in our religions after reading your poem. I am Christian. But, anyways, again I am so impressed with your work. I really enjoy the title.. I too wrote a love poem with the title being of a different language. Mine was the phrase 'I Love You' in German. I find it very unique when writer's do that. I think it draws the reader in because they have never heard the word and want to know what it means. And I think after reading the poem, the reader feels a connection to that word. Or maybe that's just me. Anywho, I love how this poem was supposed to be something different and switched.. when that happens it must be meant to be, right? I really enjoyed the first sentence, I thought it was so clever and really emphasized what this was all about. And your vocabulary, WHOA. I am like in awe of it. The descriptions of happiness and the tastes of strawberry, oh my. You are a wonderful writer. Bravo! I loved this.