Ennui | Teen Ink

Ennui

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

your thoughts push me past
—the breaking point—
—the point of no return
to the start of the labyrinth
with no exit—
no man’s land—
I try to return in reverse
but I cannot:
I am chained to the arid ground,
fruitless and unfertile
of what I tried to escape
all these years
yet seek hopelessly now—
the old Babylonian Harlot’s
chains chain me:
I am your prisoner

This is one I don't really know the meaning to myself. Tell me what you think it means. Think of it as a puzzle.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Same here. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Great analogy. And thanks for accepting the challenge of deciphering this poem. (By the way, reading every poem I write is a challenge; I have more on the way. Additionally, I plan to read all of yours.) By the way, this poem was also inspired by someone else on this site that wrote a poem with the word ennui in it. Like you, I went to the dictionary to understand this word. And this is what I came up with; we're very similay in a way. And I'm so happy to inspire my best brah to write a poem. Can't wait for it. Thanks so much, brah. 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Whaddup ma brah? Just chillen', eh? Yes, so since I am going to read every single poem of yours, I decided it best to start here as you said.. and yet again, Mckay inspired me. So, what happened was I was looking up synonyms for ennui because I like to do that with really interesting words and tedium came up and I like completely forgot about that word.. so, I am going to write a poem titled 'Tedium'. So, in a way, you led me to find the long lost word! Anyways, this totally (Ew, who uses the word totally? Haha.) reminded me of my new poem 'Avalanche' which I just posted. They are fairly similar with the whole pushing someone past their breaking point and feeling like your attached to them! We've got a connection;) This poem is very persistent with helplessness. It's really interesting! Congrats on the check!

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Well,,, I sure am glad to hear that. I'm glad :D Love always.

lackadaisicalwolf, Asdf, Other
You're welcome

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. I love your interpretation as well. It makes me think about this poem every time someone deciphers it in their own way. Thank for the feedback. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you, Saphira, for the feedback. It isn't meagre. Never. And I love your interpretation of this piece. It's a puzzling one. But I'm happy to see people trying to decipher it. 

lackadaisicalwolf, Asdf, Other
I feel like this is about depression because depression seems to trap one in itself and when one tries to escape, they can't and the depression just pulls them back.  However, there are many ways to interpret this poem.  It's very good though :D

- Maya Angelou

Congratualtions on the Editor's Choice but I'm sure my words are too meagre.  Well,, This was quite some interesting puzzle.. To me it seemed as like a lament of a past misapprehension and fault that somehow someone found out about and then that person became the blackmailing snake and you can't escape the fangs, you're actually trying to appease them somehow,.. because this is something you can't afford to lose.  Hmm? What do you think?

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Oh, don't worry about it. As long as you share your feedback that's all that matter. Thanks, Iloveme. 

TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other

All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

I read in your about me that you wanted critisism but I cannot come up with any! Amazing job :D

Kris_10 GOLD said...
Kris_10 GOLD, North Scituate, Rhode Island

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." -Theodore Roosevelt

You're welcome!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

"Mystic"—HAHA ^U^ I like that word to descrbie this poem. I love your interpretation as well. Thanks for taking the time to decipher it; I appreciate that more than anything possible. And that it left an image, albeit hazy, in your mind. Thanks, AugustSummerFling. (I like that name; very creative.) 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. I feared that people would hate this poem due to the unclear—or at least inconspicuous message. I'm very happy it has you thinking about what it truly means. Thanks, Kris. 

AugustSummerFling PLATINUM, Mylapore, Chennai, Other

'For you, a thousand times over.' - Hassan, The Kite Runner

A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit.

Wow that was one mystic poem. Kind of the thoughts you get when you think of someone you dread very much but can not cut out of your life. You just have to bear with that person no matter what. Good job :) I like the hazy image it paints in my head

Kris_10 GOLD said...

This is one of those poems that doesnt have a clear message, but it's a good thing. ususally, an unclear message simple makes the reader confused, but what you managed to do was keep them thinking. Good job!