The Valley of the Dolls | Teen Ink

The Valley of the Dolls

By LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hold your breath and count to three, you will surely fall asleep.
Don’t you worry for the blames on me, you’re going to endure a fantasy.
We’ve lived our lives inside lovely dreams, only waking as we sleep.
Here you don’t have to sell your soul just so you can have it all,
give a little get a lot, your life here is in the perfect spot.
Oh dear diary, you’ll meet some toy, they’ll light your doll heart up with joy.
Livin’ in a make-believe land you ask yourself what’s happenin’.
Your eyelids closed and glitter was sprinkled, now you’re here, twinkle twinkle.
Question good and question bad.. I promise the valley was meant to last.
You searched for the shooting star light and escaped the dark of night,
took a left and took a right, now you’re in the ‘perfect life’.
The Valley of the Dolls is what this is called, many things to teach you, welcome to your virtue!
This is the land for misfit toys, the valley welcomes all girls and boys.
Before your secrets were kept undercover, but here we’re all sisters and brothers.
Idles to one another, with love and hope we destroy the feelings to fear and loathe.
Open up and let faith shine for you are a new doll in time.
You’re welcomed in with neon gold, here you cannot be controlled.
Forget your past that’s all a game, please come in and tell us your name.
The Valley of the Dolls is just for you, I’m so glad we’ve met someone true.

I wanted to write something a bit whimsical and this is what I came up with. This is about a make-believe land that misfits live inside in their dreams every night. All the misfits are 'dolls'.

papayajuice13 GOLD, Tel Aviv, Other
Creative! Nice work!

Wings10FeetTall GOLD, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

Nobody's going to wait for you, so do it now.
-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

Lexus, do you know what the Greek word for caring is? The TeenInk forums seem to be down, so I asking on here.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Oh yeah, it wa in Perks of Bing a Wallflower. So your making it inot a novel? Would love to check it out (just view, not contribute) if thats okay with you. Oh, and don't even worry about your work being unoriginal or a carbon copy of anything else. Your original Lexus, never doubt that. It just reminded me of the movie :P

Rudolph does have it and so does The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I guess it was a bit different, but I don't want all my work to be the same. At some point I will have to leave my comfort zone. And yeah, I know, we have not spoken in a while. We should probably catch up! And actually, dragonsandthree and I are making this into a novel. It's coming along great! And yes, I would love to watch that with my mom on a Tuesday! Talk to you soon, pal!

Great! I thought of that movie with the land of the misfit toys....shoot whats it called? ummm...its like: Rudolph  the red nos raindear or soemthing :) Cool poem, it seemed different from most of your work though, but I like that you are experimenting, and don't worry this experiment turned out well. On the other hand, I didn't really like the rhyming aspect because I felt that it took away from the authenticity of the poem. Some lines rhymed and then some didn't so I was kinda confused and thrown off. But otherwise that, great job. Oh, and also (though this has nothing to do with the poem) I feel like we haven't talked/chated in like months :P Sorry, kinda random. Just here to comment and say hi! so "hi Lexus!!!" Okay, now that thats out of the way......Amazing job once again, and I could really see this as a book or like a short film. Also, I saw that movie that JourneyingSoul made on your poem. It was good I thought, but kinda cheesy :P sorry that sounded really mean. What I meant to say is that I thought that it should have been like two girl best friends, and one one deserts the other. I guess different people have different perspectives. I can't wait though for Jay to put mine up, I really want to see A Tragic Story come to life!!! EVen though Mckay has directing rights for when it is a big hit :) Maybe someday yo will watch  A Tragic Story, novel edition, with your mom on a tuesday night :) Okay, sorry for that really long and random comment, and sorry for taking sooooo long to coment. Your my favorite as always :) Keep rockin <3

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Alice in Wonderland. This is what I thought of when reading this poem. First off, I love the title. Great choice of title. Title are key to any work of writing. And this one The Valley of of the Dolls makes you want to find out what the poem is gonna be about. Excellent. Whimsical without going over board like Tim Burton, not that I appreciate his whimsicality. So many beautiful images throughout this poem. Amazing, Lexus.

SoulPoetry PLATINUM, Sierra Madre, California

"I will work harder" (animal farm boxer the horse)

This poem is so beautiful, whimsical, and playful! I was singing this song in my head, it's just that good! Sounds a little like something from the Wizard of Oz or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer :P I can read this poem all day and never get tired of it. Great job!!!1  

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

LexusMarie, would you like to collabrate on a novel with me?

SleepingDragon58, Groose Pointe, Michigan
I really like this piece good job!  

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

Sounds like something that could make an interesting poem.

Thank you! I haven't.. I have had one that I was like in a mermaid colony or something and I was the main mermaid. Haha!

May your words be sharp.
- Christopher Paolini

-Ingrid Michaelson

Broken hearts heal, but never the same.
- Jessica Romo

Idiots rely on luck.
-Sherlock Holmes

This was incredible! It is pretty whimscal, and it's a beautiful poem. Have you ever had a dream about a place like The Valley of the Dolls?