Good Morning | Teen Ink

Good Morning

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

There is something crisp
about this morning
with an azure
clouded-dappled sky
and a honeyed haze.

There is something sweet
about this morning:
the vase of violet orchids
that sits on our nightstand
are fresh and fragrant as
the day last week
when you brought them home
coming back from work.

There is something provocative
about this morning
with the only thing covering
our bodies
are these thin
cool cotton sheets so sheer
that the outlines
of both you and me
must be visible:
our warmth trapped beneath.
You roll over,
thinking I’m asleep,
and get out of bed
without bothering to put on your crumpled clothes,
lying on the floor next to mine,
or without covering your torso
with some sheets.
You bare backside recedes
from my view
as you go out to the kitchen
to brew our coffee.

There is something euphonic
about this morning,
as you get back in bed,
and your voice
is the first sound
to bid me, “Good morning,”
while our steaming coffee
brews in the background,
its guttural song
making it all the way
into our bedroom.
There is something promising
about this morning
with your smile greeting me,
your cheeks dimpling,
letting me know
that I still have
one more day
with you
today.

I began to develop the idea of this poem in a afternoon. But I decided to wait until the nest morning to write in order for it to have a raw feeling. And this was what I came up with. I have to give MyApocolyptic for being some inspiration for me. Hope you all enjoy.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Haha. :) Thank you. 

Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

Awesome i can feel the mournings in your mstical lands lol i lvoed it :3 keep it up

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. Some mornings are just that way. They're so lovely sometimes. 

TevyRae PLATINUM, Pittsfield, Pennsylvania

"Here is a small fact: You are going to die." ~The Book Thief
"You have no stupidity inside of your adorable little self." ~Mikey Pasterik

AWESOME!! very good. some of my mornings are like this. it describes it perfectly. :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Awww, thank you. I posted something new called Besos. Will you read it? Lexus seemed to like it. Haha. Keep rocking!

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

No prob! your work is always amazing and i will always be willing to read it. keep rockin and writing Mckay.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Awwww. Thank you, you fab writer. Haha ;) I wanna thank you for catching the little things too like Lexus. The sheets on their bodies....didn't think someone would love that part. Thought maybe everyone would overlook it. But you didn't. And you're supeer sweet. Keep rocking, Laugh-it-Out. And thanks for saying Keep rocking; it really motivates me to keep on rocking and writing. ^u^

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

HEY, YOU! Thank you. Oh, it means so much whne you comment on my work. I love how detailed your somment is. I don't deserve so much kindness. Thank you doe catching all the tiny things in this poem. I appreciate. I'm so happy talking with you. Thanks. 

Another FABULOUS POEM MCKAY! And ANOTHER RED CHECK! haha anyway, I lobv th symbolism of the coffee and I LOVE the descriptions of the sheets on their bodies. It is really sweet. Keep rockin mckay

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

MCKAY! HEY THERE! I needed to put that in caps to emphasize my excitement to be talking to you since it's been much too long. This poem is so pretty! The concept is just to be spending a morning with someone you love, but you turned it into a bit of a love story. You turned it into my cup of coffee I have in the morning, oh how I love coffee. The sincerity is so candor. It's deep, the meaning must be so much deeper, I feel so much emotion in here. Your descriptions were so clear and very vivid. I could see everything in my head, I could touch all they touched, I smelled the orchids, and I tasted their coffee.. it was yummy. (; I liked the set-up, too! Oh, girl, you just keep writing cause you're a star! Talk to you soon!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I am overwhelmed—no, no, no. I'm grateful of your appreciation of this poem. I love your detailed comment; it makes me super happy to see someone display such love for a poem I felt might not be so appreciated as you've shown me. Thank you so so so much.

Zach_M said...
I am overwhelmed. I see something more deep in this poem besides coffee, haha. The fact of being thankful for another day to wake up and breathe in life next to the one you love. I see a couple, living each day as if it's there last they will ever have together. I love how you bring in coffee; as if it's the small things that we should be thankful for. Breathing in the things around us, and admiring each visual thing within that moment. I love this. I love how you take in the morning, and the beauty of love within that moment. This is incredible. Great job...

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

haha. I tend to mispell from when I'm typing. I don't know why I always spell form. If you read some of my reviews you'll see it. -_-       :P

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

I always spell "oppurtunity" wrong. Ughhh. For people who make words our best friends, we sure are awful at spelling them ^-^

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

"Friend"—see that I mispell too often. Uggghhh.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Freind, I'm so happy you love this poem. Sorry I mispelled you username. I was in a rush to post this. But I love that you love it; and your interpretation is just the perfect interpretation I seeked from everyone. Glad it smells like coffee to you. I know it does for me. 

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

This poem smells like coffee. Your descriptions are so peaceful, and capture perfectly that hazy dawnlight happiness of a morning like this. One can amost taste it. Awesome.   I love the last nine lines- full of hope, and willingness to enjoy the moment, yet still hinting that you know mornings like this never last. That present happiness, despite the futility, being able to enjoy this morning, this day, this time you have with this person, is so real to me. Five stars, my friend :)