Listless Sea of Life | Teen Ink

Listless Sea of Life

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Fish with sequined
skin and onyx eyes
fixed on nothing
in particular
swim aimlessly
and indifferently
through meandering
lifeless water.

Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless?
Or was it
full of life
but listless?

Life has no purpose if we have no vision for Life.

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

I feel like I have to think on this for a long time now... You've done a very good job of leaving a lasting impression on the reader.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I'm so happy right now. You literally made my day into a bright happy day, although it's about to pour like Niagra Falls here. Thank you for the comment and for your interpretation. XD

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

This is a grand poem. So full of whimsy, That last little ponderance... "Lifeless? Lifeless. Lifeless? Or was it full of life but listless?"   Oh my god, it's awesome. I've always seen fish as perfect little vessels of wonder. They don't really have a point, so they're never distracted by work or relationships or anything. They must see SO MUCH, those listless little fish, and have all the time in the ocean to appreciate it. But to us people, with all our purposes (whether real or imagined), we feel sorry for them. I think it might be awesome to be a fish and just float around digging everything.   This is probably my favourite poem of yours.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you. I love that you found some playfulness to this poem. Anytime I can make someone smile, to me, it's more than I can ask and wish for. 

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

I dont know why, but the last part made me giggle. Your right though! And its a very astute observation. I always thought of water as "teeming with life", but i also always saw the sea, full of sleepy fish and slow, huge sharks and whales, as being a quite and listless place, when its not storming (when it is, i would call it violent, not full of life.) You did a spectacular job! And, dispite my giggles, i really did enjoy it all, eslpecially that last part!