Love Over a Year | Teen Ink

Love Over a Year

March 25, 2013
By drewnowater PLATINUM, Danville, Kentucky
drewnowater PLATINUM, Danville, Kentucky
33 articles 0 photos 6 comments

I know I write about nature a lot,
but it’s the only way I know how to speak.

Love is nature.

Love is the morning when you wake up to a gloomy, rainy day. It’s the day when all you want to do is climb into a blanket on the couch and watch your favorite romance movies.

Love is catching snowflakes on your tongues.

Love is plucking sunflowers and pick off the petals, one by one.

Love is being able to wear shorts and a long sleeve shirt on a cool day when the sun doesn’t threaten you with its heat.

Love is nature.

We love these things.

We love being able to stay home when we aren’t ready to face the day.

We love the thought of snow, even though when it finally arrives, it overstays its welcome.

We love the blooming of pink flowers and green leaves reappearing and abandoning the ground.

We love fireworks and celebrations and enjoying three-day weekends, no matter the fact that they still seem too short.

We love these things.

But things we don’t love?

We don’t love anything that takes us away from the things we love, anything that removes our appreciation and understanding of nature.

We don’t love work. No man does.

We don’t love school. Filling out applications. Paying bills. Paying for anything.

We don’t love thinking about the future. We don’t love stress. We don’t love worrying.

We don’t love having to deal with life because life actually distracts us from nature. Life comes and we have to deal with it, whether or not we want to. Along with life comes the things we don’t love.

But without nature, without the things that we love, we wouldn’t have the strength to accept life.

Without love, we wouldn’t have anything to look forward to. We wouldn’t have reason to live.

So, in order to live, we must accept and bear the things we do not love. Only this will let us truly appreciate and understand the things we love in nature.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

When was the last time you did something you didn’t love?

When was the last time you plucked a sunflower from its roots and picked off the petals, one by one?