Why, Mother Nature? | Teen Ink

Why, Mother Nature?

By PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana
PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

It’s something I’ve been meaning to investigate,
Well, that’s just my problem, you see.
Mother Nature is cunning and apparently has a sense of humor,
But I simply must ask: why me?

When I say “me” I don’t mean me.
I mean us, all of us.
You, me, kings, queens,
Teachers, politicians and that guy on the bus.

Here I may lie, wide awake,
Thinking of my future and regretting the past.
But why must we? What made us this way?
She told us our chance had passed.

She made us in a complicated way,
We say things we do not mean to say
We work all day and dream all night
Why couldn’t we be like birds, gentle in flight?

Alright, I admit, we are the smartest, most intelligent animals on this Earth
But what good does that do for us?
We build buildings taller than the tallest trees
But when it comes to simplicity why do we fuss?

Yes, I could live without my machines.
Yes, I could live without my books.
Why couldn’t we be free of worry and cares?
Why not turn us into lumbering bears?

You may be confused and a little bit startled,
Allow me to explain myself more clearly.
Have you seen the way an eagle soars, how a dolphin has no philosophies?
I want to be like that, free of this intellectual burden.

Maybe we are different and you do not want that.
Maybe you want to be the human that you are.
But I want to climb and screech like a howler monkey
Without anyone staring strangely at me.

Mother Nature can really spook me
With her mysterious ways and sudden jumps
Just take me, as I am and morph me, change me.
I want to be as a creature in the wild.

I've always wondered what it must be like to live like a simple-minded animal.

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Yea, I guess sometimes we get that feeling about our work but that's what this place is for: You get to know what other people think..  :D  And I loved that up there..

PirateCountry DIAMOND, Muncie, Indiana

Thanks! Honestly, when I submitted it I thought it was my WORST so far...but you've definitely changed that! I shall have more soon!

- Maya Angelou

That was an amazing poem..One of your best so far! I love it! The words, the theme, the way you conveyed it..The only thing I can point out is that you could've gone with a more powerful title....nah, I guess it's all good. I love it.