Life is to Live | Teen Ink

Life is to Live

By SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other
SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

I’d view the stars twinkle and shine,
Hear the lilt as music play,
Witness the moments divine
And take heed to whatever you say.

I’d live to see joy in your eyes,
And know it’s due to me;
See the way the time flies
And once again visit the sea.

I’d envision, fireworks spark and glow,
Hear the song of the nightingale,
Or watch a river flow
And in the Pacific alone set sail.

I’d feel the summer Sun’s heat,
Touch the cool winter breeze,
Let trod on snow, my bare feet
And watch the dewdrops freeze.

I’d look at the butterfly’s tiny wings,
Catch the buds unfold,
And the delight their novelty brings
Discover all that the mighty mounts hold.

I’d make a house up a willow or an oak,
Befriend the torrid fire,
Tho’ gleefully in rainwater soak;
Also, listen to a bit satire.

Know I have but slight time to live,
So I’d live it my own way;
Wouldn't ask God for more to give,
Merely thank and silently pray.

If I had only one day to live, this is all the stuff I'd want to do and have done. Everyone has their own number of things that they would want to do. This poem is about me and what I think of life.

- Maya Angelou

Hey there Liv!! Yep! I missed you so much <3 Well, here I must admit that as this is an old poem, and though I truly love it (duh, all of my fav things stacked in one poem) , I did have trouble with the symmetry and uniformity because back then I only used to write rhyming poems so I just so wanted it to rhyme perfectly, so now you get why in some place it is a bit strained... And I am so happy that you always give such honest feedback Liv! It means the world to me :D Hehehe.. God, it would really be so much better if there was a way to communicate other than commenting.. :P  New work...well I'll be posting some more very soon so I'll let you know when it comes, for now, there's this poem "The Four-Letter Word" that I posted some time ago and I think you probably haven't read...So don't take too long to adorn it with your precious words :) Love always.

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Hey there Dua!!! Long time no talk :( anyway, just wanted to check back in and what better way to do it than read more amazing poetry! This poem, though amazing, was not my favorite of yours. I loved the theme, i mean yolo, but I felt that the rhymes in places were a bit awkward. See with rhyming poems I usually read them aloud to get a picture of the flow, i thought that the beginning and end flowed well, but the rhymes in the middle were a bit choppy (please dont take this the wrong way i am only offering up my honest feedback) anyway, i thought that the descriptions of all the things you would love to do where spot on! I especially loved the one about the house in an oak or willow tree, made me relate back to my tree house that i miss so dearly much :'( Anywho, thanks for the feedback on my new and old work and it was great to hear from you after such a long time!! I was starting to miss my Dua! Haha nice hearin from you. Anyway, whenever you ever want me to read something new, forum me and I will always do it. So thanks and awesome and Keep on rockin ;)

- Maya Angelou

Of course I am. Do tell me.. I do think some of it is quite irrhythmic but can't quite point what.. I'd love it if you were to tell me. And thank you so so so much for the feedback. 'Tis always great to know what people think and it was more than great to know your thoughts on this one. I'm so happy so Thank You Raven!    P.S. I love your username!

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

And such interesting images! I loved the line about making a house "up a willow or an oak..."

~Kahlil Gibran

What a busy and wonderful day this would be! I was very much drawn in by the refreshing "carpe diem" feel you have running throughout the stanzas, which make me want to go outside and just live. Which I think must be one of the things you were trying to accomplish with this. Other than a few instances of awkward wording/organization (which I can point out only if you're interested...), you succeeded in writing a poem which both expresses your desire to live to the fullest and encourages the reader to do the same. Thank you for sharing, friend!

- Maya Angelou

You just made my day man!  It's one of my own favourites too but I really had no idea that someone could like it that much. WOW. ANd yes, this is one topic I never get tired of talking or writing about. And also this poem is kinda a reflection of my personality as it tells of all the thing  that I want to do, thus establishing a sort of list of the stuff I love... I'm gad you love those things too. :D

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

#YOLO *LOL*

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

I love this. It makes me think of all the things I'd want to do if I only had one more day to live. The last lines are some of the best lines of any poem I've read on this site thus far. This is an exceptional poem. 

- Maya Angelou

WOW thank you..., I am honoured because you're such an amazing poet yourself!!  Thank you Thank you Thank you!  You just made me smile so big.  And yep Eragon is awesome :D

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift; that's why they call it the present"

this one, btw, takes 5/5, wich i hardly ever give anyone, and never have given to myself. good work done.

thatunknownthing DIAMOND, Dubai, Other

OH MY GOODNESS. i am MOVED. this was just so beautiful, and honest, and i feel I could do each and every one of these things, too. your descriptions were simple, but heartfelt, and i completely agree with you.  apart from the awesome theme, the only little flaw is that a few of your stanzas are irrhythemic with others.  and for your name that i just noticed, i LOVE eragon series too! totally awesome.