Island | Teen Ink

Island

December 26, 2012
By jdaniels1779 BRONZE, New York, New York
jdaniels1779 BRONZE, New York, New York
3 articles 1 photo 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
Maya Angelou


Just a ferry’s ride away from the city, a concealed piece of the world is revealed; a million grains of sand glisten as the sun hits them. Frigid ocean water moisturizes dry seaweed, for now it is withered and old from the sandy wind. Supple ivory seagull feathers and iridescent chips of sea glass are picked up by delicate fingers to be taken to a beach house and made into a necklace. On the opposite side, fireflies spread their luminosity through the evening, dancing around the ancient beach huts. Lifeless starfish cling to the seashore, and the aroma rolls along with the waves. Sunscreen dissolves into the air the coconut tang creates enchanting dizziness. A boat pulls to shore, as enflamed driftwood seeps into lungs. A mother holds a baby while walking down the ‘shore, his innocent wail is heard in the distance. Muffled laughter fills the air, and fresh cut watermelon drips on the earth in perfect rhythm. The loud clang of margarita glass cut the faded background noise as a deer trots across the shore. As the sky darkens, the screeching sound of seagulls combines with the crunch of the shells gently blown by the whisper of the waves. The moon peaks behind the clouds the shadows silences the orchestra of noises. Soon, trees become silhouettes of veins in dark skin as the turquoise blood of the waves nourishes the amber layer of sand. The sun says its goodbyes and leaves mirages of faded purple and orange. Cold mist brushes against the weeds, the ladybugs drink the bright moonlight overhead.


The author's comments:
Inspired by John Steinbeck's style of settng.