Everybody's Free (To Have Fun) | Teen Ink

Everybody's Free (To Have Fun)

By SElahi BRONZE, Burr Ridge, Illinois
SElahi BRONZE, Burr Ridge, Illinois

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

My advice to anyone?
Have fun.
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, fun would be it. Sure, hard work is important, but everyone needs a little fun in their life. Without fun, life is meaningless. I can tell you from past experience, having fun is one of the most important things you can ever do. As for the rest of my advice…well, I would listen to that too, if I were you.
Enjoy your friends. You’ll never realize how much they really mean to you until you need them most. Cherish the good times you have with them. Always try to make new friends; having more friends is better than having less, right? And remember: just because you make new friends, it doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t always appreciate the ones you already have.
Don’t worry about the past or the future. Always live in the moment, and try to make the best out of what’s happening to you right now. Learn from past experiences, but don’t get hung up on failures. Plan for the future, but don’t waste your time worrying. The only thing you should be worrying about is making your life in the present the best it can be.
Do one thing every day that surprises you.
Dance.
Don’t hurt others. Don’t stand for them hurting you.
Listen to your parents.
Don’t waste your time on your appearance. In 20 years you’ll be wondering why you spent so much time thinking about how your hair looked, or how well your outfit matched. Focus on the important things, like your actions and feelings.
Remember good times in your life. Forget the ones that aren’t so good.
Keep your good memories. Get rid of the bad ones.
Don’t feel worthless—everyone has a purpose, and you’re one of a kind. Understand that once you set your mind to something, nothing can stop you.
Get plenty of exercise. Stay active. If you don’t, you’ll be sorry in 30 years.
Maybe you’ll be successful, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll get a good job, maybe you won’t. Maybe you’ll get fired, maybe you’ll hand the business over to your oldest child on their 27th birthday. But whatever you do, don’t take anything for granted. All of the little things matter, and you have to work for everything you want, just like everyone else.
Enjoy your energy. Stay as active as you possibly can. You’ll miss that energy when you’re older.
Go on vacation, even if it’s only to your backyard.
Sing, even if the only place to do it is the shower.
Aim big—like they say, “Shoot for the moon; even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”
Get to know your true self. You’ll do things that surprise you, since even you don’t know who you really are most of the time. Figure out your true personality, and your life will be much better.
Understand that life isn’t always going to be perfect, unless you make it perfect. Work to make the most of your life, because you don’t realize just how short it really is. Enjoy yourself as much as possible, because looking back when you’re older, you’ll be really glad that you did what you did.
Live in a luxurious tropical area, but don’t let it make you too lazy.
Be heard.
Accept yourself the way you are. There’s no point in trying to change yourself, or wishing that you were someone else. Appreciate your own unique personality, and have self-confidence, because you are the best at being you.
Follow directions.
Don’t expect life to be easy. You need to work to achieve your goals, and understand that not everything is going to go your way. Trust me, you’re going to be frustrated and stressed sometimes, but that’s just part of life.
Don’t mess up another person’s day just because someone messed up yours. Think of the golden rule: “Treat others as you want to be treated”.
Be careful what you say about others; you never know how much it may hurt them (or yourself). Gossip is just a waste of time, because there are many things to do that are way more important in your life. Use your time wisely in ways that aren’t hurtful to anyone.
But trust me about having fun.

Egycal52 SILVER, --, California

"Hats off to the past, coats off to the future."
- American Proverb
"Why do you keep hiding behind your mask,
When even the scars formed by your mistakes
are you own constellations?"

This was so uplifting! Your writing really had an effect on me.. I can't believe I'm writing this comment 10 years after the publication date.. but it's just so good! I hope you're having fun too!