come back | Teen Ink

come back

By angel_of_silence PLATINUM, Cotulla, Texas
angel_of_silence PLATINUM, Cotulla, Texas

“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” -Jace Wayland City of Bones

You fight to keep your country free
You fight to keep us free of enemies
You go to war
Not knowing if you are going to come back

You fight so that we can wave our flag proudly
You fight so that your family can be safe
You leave with a grin on your face
Saying “I’ll be back.”

You fight so that we can be safe
You fight for your people
You write letters to your family
Saying “I wish I was back”

You fought for honor
You fought for your people
Your families cry for you
Knowing you’ll never be back

You fought for yourself
You fought for your country
You are now safe
You are with God

This is dedicated to all the troops have gone and were not able to come home

DomoandUnicorns BRONZE, Lincoln, California
That was really powerful

albinotiger GOLD, Gloucester, Massachusetts

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win"- Stephen King
“In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate”- Isaac Asimov

O *tear* this poem is so sweet!! i <3 the mesage the emotion and everything else i love!!! u r really spectacular at writing and maybe check out my work sometime :)

HeatherOlivia GOLD, Solothurn, Other

"All things truly wicked start from innocence." - Ernest Hemingway

I hope this gets somewhere because I know the feeling of not knowing if someone will come back. This realy moved me. Thank you for writing it 

ReneeB SILVER said...
ReneeB SILVER, Milford, Michigan

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do."
~Sarah Ban Breathnach

Very sad, but true. Your use of repetition adds a lot to the meaning of the poem. good job

curlygurlray GOLD, Visalia, California

you have the life you let yourself take.

wow this almost made cry. this stirs some of my feelings being the girlfriend of a future marine. i hate seeing my reality face me but thanks for doing it for me. i love this poem keep writing(:

ZhadaMone GOLD said...
ZhadaMone GOLD, Westwood, New Jersey

"I love you as much as I did yesterday but, not as much as I will tommorow"

Wow that's deep....amazing :')

hypermagical said...
hypermagical, Indianapolis, Indiana

You can quote me on that.

I like this poem because you draw attention to the fact that when soldiers leave for war, they truly don't know if they are going to make it home- and that dedication, to me is the essence of bravery.

DanielM SILVER said...
DanielM SILVER, Kent, Washington

"I would rather hated million times for what i did then loved a million times for what i didn't do." - Daniel Moto
" I've sought out to be the best i could posibly be but when i hit a roadblock in life what did i do, i had two choices either stay at the roadblock or i take this roadblock and make of it and go around it and achieve my goal. So, what will it be?"- Daniel Mathia

"People take love like its a four letter word or just a phrase that you tell people or your friends all the time. But in reality love is much bigger than a merely phrase or 4 letter word. Instead love is a genuine promise or covenant to that special person."-Daniel Mathia

“Why change yourself when you were made perfect and wonderfully by the creator of everything?” – Daniel Mathia

“If live is not hurtin then were really not living in.” – B. Reith

I really apperaticed the message of soliders in this poem. Cause i have family who were in the army and who are in the arm right know. Great Message and well written. Keep it up. Suggestion. a little bit of emotion

TelDorathan SILVER, Clifton, Maine

"I always come out fine, both physically and-"
Awkward silence...
"Uhh... Caboose?"
"Mentally!"

Fairly well written, however, I believe it could be improved if more of the lines rhymed.

Kit-Kait BRONZE, Amherst, Virginia

I love this poem, thank you for making it. It may not have rhyming nor rhythm, but it was a true, heart warming poem, and I love it.

My dad was in the Navy and the Army. He may not be alive today. There's a song I can remember, and I love  it. "Don't Miss You Life"; that's what I thought whenever I saw him leave.

Thank you, again. I hope that this gets put on the mag. You deserve it. Five stars.

Anny_Grace SILVER, Centennial, Colorado
EHmaw I love it. The emotions relly flowed through and didnt stop or change and made it really fluid. I love the repition and how you changed it at the end but it sorta ment the same thing. You voice doesn't really show and I'd love to hear more of it!!