Square One | Teen Ink

Square One

January 1, 2012
By apoetssoul SILVER, Lockport, New York
apoetssoul SILVER, Lockport, New York
8 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on. -Thomas Jefferson


You taste like roses,
And sunshine,
And hope.
I had so much faith in you,
I'm naive and insecure but you shouldn't capitalize on that just because your ego is lonely.
I just want to let you know that I'm hurting, but how would you know that?
We barely knew each other then, and we barely know each other now.
How am I supposed to give up on you, sir? Friend? Darling?..
I should think not- your lovely lady would not take kindly to my loving thoughts.
I have nothing but admiration for the person I assumed you were.
And honestly, I don't think I can just stop trying to understand you.
But you must understand that I can't let go of this idea-
The idea that this whole time, for as short a time as this tremendously long journey has been playing out with us,
You never devoted any part of your heart to me.
Now, I'm not blaming you; I hope you're tremendously happy with her and vice versa.
But you could have at least done all three of us the common courtesy of not openly acting as if you could wrap me up in sweetness and carry me away with your charm.
I expected too much and assumed even more, without understanding what our reality was, and is.
You might care, you might..
But as of right now, Sweetheart, we're back at square one-
Did we ever leave?


The author's comments:
Dedicated to everyone who's ever been eager to love, anxious to please, and terrified to bleed again. You've gotta get your heart shattered to know what it means to be rebuilt.