Broken boy | Teen Ink

Broken boy

By DeePiper PLATINUM, Gainesville, Texas
DeePiper PLATINUM, Gainesville, Texas

"Poetry flows. Right from my heart, to the paper. The best poems create themselves within your heart, and your mind...well, the mind interprets them... See, think of your heart as the artist, and your mind as the audience... get it?"

Leave the broken boy,
proud and arrogant boy--
See the broken wings,
binding his spirit to this path,
he stumbles.
See the flickering halo,
hanging cracked and disheveled above his head.
Leave the broken boy,
kneeling at the crystalline lake.
See his smile tremble,
embers in his eyes, tumble,
as if lost in a breeze.
See his muscles tense,
in agitation, in defiance.
--Stubborn and desolate.
Leave the broken boy.

I wrote this poem after reading City of Glass by Cassandra Clare. The poem began forming in my head after reading the chapter where Jace was kneeling beside lake Lyn, near death; it formed such a clear picture of his character in my mind, I had to write about it. This poem is for Jace. Because his character is so unclear, I titled the poem broken boy. His character has a defiant arrogance contradicting the noble strength within. I wanted to focus on the conflict I imagined going on inside him and thought the backdrop of the lake was perfect.

DeePiper PLATINUM, Gainesville, Texas

Wow. That's a really amazing compliment:) Thank you!

OneInParticular1017, Greenwood, South Carolina

Don’t you know? Hearts are breakable. And I think even when you heal, you’re never what you were before. -City of Fallen Angels
Either love me with vomit in my hair or don't love me at all. -Ryan O'Connell, Thought Catalog

This poem is GORGEAUS!! (I always spell that wrong). The vocab you used was beautiful and full of imagery. I love that you wrote it about Jace- one of my favorites characters in the world. You captured him almost as well as C. Clare herself. :)