Hopes Up Hop Down | Teen Ink

Hopes Up Hop Down

December 29, 2010
By aspiring.author.09 PLATINUM, Beaumont, Other
aspiring.author.09 PLATINUM, Beaumont, Other
34 articles 0 photos 70 comments

It's just one little message. Who cares, really? It probably only says one word.

Like, "Hey." I hate that word. Why can't people say, "Hello!" anymore?

Because it isn’t cool. It’s like putting a 'g' at the end of words like 'chilling' or, 'waiting.'

Why should I even bother to check at all? Why should I bother blessing him with a reply?

I’m too good for this. I’m too good for him.

If I had a penny for every time I said that, I’d be rich.

If I had half a penny for every time I said that, I’d still be rich.

What’s worth more, my thoughts or my words? I’d like to know. I’d like to be.

Someone who is quiet so I am not expected to speak. Not expected to think, even though I would. More than you. More than him. More than both of you…combined.

Back and forth back and forth back and forth like a creaky rocking chair nobody wants to sit on anymore.

Up and down up and down and you get to hear all about it. Shut me up. Make me stop. I sound ridiculous.

You sound ridiculous, all those compliments that bounce off me like rubber. I wish. They stick. They are like super-glue.

I am the moth and you are the flame. My wings beat to a million and then my heart stops when I touch it. I die.

I live, I breathe and I open the message.


The author's comments:
A poem about the trials of texting.