I Remember | Teen Ink

I Remember

By swim.em BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado
swim.em BRONZE, Centennial, Colorado

I remember raspberry jelly spread across a delicious grilled cheese.
I remember phone calls that lasted for longer than I could count high right now.
I remember hotel rooms and staying awake for hours, talking about the things that we never shared with anyone.
I remember 6, the most number of movies we ever watched in a single night; we must’ve stayed up until at least 4:30.
I remember chocolates, and that entire box we ate one time; their rich, delicious filling made them at least 1,000 calories apiece.
I remember dancing like idiots to music that we know and love, screaming at the top of our lungs until we couldn’t even whisper.
I remember inside jokes and how we love to laugh at them, especially when nobody but us knows why we are laughing about pink starburst so much.
I remember talking to you in Texas and wishing you were there with me…
I remember notes I read that were like our silent communication method, filled with inside jokes and promises, even those you never kept…
I remember summers spent lounging by one pool or another, walking around gossiping, or running through sprinklers in the park.
I remember memories of snippets of conversations that have somehow glued themselves to my mind.
I remember the stories you told me to make me laugh, even when it seemed I would never be happy again.

Thesilentraven PLATINUM, Mableton, Georgia

"il piu nell' uno," (according to Emerson, an Italian expression for beauty)

"Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality" ~Emily Dickinson

"The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain"
~Kahlil Gibran

What a touching piece! And a detailed recollection of a wonderful friendship. I enjoyed reading every one of the memories that you recorded, so I thank you dearly for the writing of this poem...