Spoken in Silence | Teen Ink

Spoken in Silence

By TWLOHA SILVER, Seattle, Washington
TWLOHA SILVER, Seattle, Washington

I am Strong because I am Weak
I am Beautiful because I know my Flaws
I am a Lover Because I'm a Fighter
I am Fearless because I have bee Afraid
I am Wise because I have been Foolish
...and I can Laugh because I've known Sadness

I sit quiet not saying a word
I guess people think since I don’t say a lot I don’t think or hear a lot either.
You talk about me I hear it loud and clear as I think if only they really knew,
It hurts me just as much as any one else but I guess since I don’t speak up and tell you my pain it’s not suppose to hurt so bad that my lungs cant inhale it
I know your mom doesn’t like me and she thinks I’m stuck up because I guess being silent means I perceive my self as better than you all I know she thinks I’m rude and says that she knows my mom raised me better than that but the thing that’s constantly questioning me is if she doesn’t know a damn thing about me then how am I…..
Know what just forget it I’m used to being judge by the unknown who don’t know this unfound.
When I asked you why doesn’t your mom like me I knew the answer I just wanted to make sure the same false accusations never left my lips
I was angry and then for you to have the nerve to shrug and ask me “what’s up with your attitude”
Oh I could have screamed
I wanted to say I just don’t give and eff any more, no one cares if my feelings have been damaged time and time again, no one thinks before stinging me with judgment they see my kindness as weakness and I could care less what this world see me as
You tell me I should smile more because my life’s perfect, how would you know if you never asked “how are things going”
You say I think and I think that yet you have come to the realization that the I in this isn’t you it me.
I don’t know the being that lives beyond this skin, the skin that should be familiar by now but feels like a stranger’s
I really do care that your mom doesn’t like me but she’ll never know because she never bothered to ask me
That’s what I should have told her but I just simply got up and left before the look or care consumed my face, I got up before everything in my body holding me together just broke
I just don’t under stand you people does the difference in my every step and movement make the ground under you quake as the unknown come is in your presence?
I think you’re afraid but we’re all afraid and suppose to be in this all together forming the rainbow of ROYGBIV
Yet from my view all I see is R-O-Y-G-B-I-V meaning you all have given up on this world but not me I still have hope but you’d never know that unless you asked me but you know it’s a little too late sweetie ‘cause I’m done speaking with this pen