Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

September 7, 2009
By MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio
MariaMarie DIAMOND, Washington Court House, Ohio
70 articles 0 photos 181 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's a mountain on a beach"-Unknown
"Will: This is either madness or brilliance. Sparrow: It's remarkable how often those two traits coincide."-Pirates of the Caribbean:Curse of the Black Pearl.


Autumn's cold chill rippled my clothes, as I followed the lonely path. Moonlight shone from above. A steady glare- whatching me everywhere I went. Moisture began to fill the air, my throat wanted to cry out- to anyone who would listen but the wind forced it shut. I cried a silent cry- but no one did see, when a dark myst began to surround me. A boat sounded from a short distance, children laughed at a park that was near, but not near enough to me.

The darkness is inside me, filling me from head to toe. The cold has numbed me- I feel nothing. The darkness is inching closer, jumping from one shadow to the next. Hidden from creatures standing right on it, but visible to me. And it grasps my insides- unhappy with my view. The cold has gone so deep that I can barely breathe.

My shoes find a way off my feet, my jacket goes to protect them. And behind I leave both. I walk on further, the darkness is penetrating. The loud call of sea-gulls, nothing but a phantom in my mind. I think I hear someone calling, and so I run ahead. A deep wetness goes up to my ankles- I'm trapped and I have to set myself free. The darkness finds a hole and goes further inside me. Whoever was here, or whatever has gone. Or maybe it was just one of the many phantoms that haunts my mind.

I'm shaking but I don't care- I can't feel it anyway. The sound of the boat and sea-gulls is growing closer, the laughter of children is being withheld by the trees. The taste of salt is in the air, and the rank of fish has gone so deep that it sets my tears into motion. I cannot feel, I can laugh, but I cannot cry- for my tears have gone.

And I can walk. I walked through the mud, the sand, and the rocks, until my body froze with cold.

My soul has been seized by a darkness unknown, and my final pleas' are answered as they come out as bubbles, floating above the seas.

And at last- the blackness is no longer torturing me, and as death tears at my sides- my blood finally began to warm and I can't wait 'till it's hot.

The author's comments:
I woke up at about 11pm on Halloween night in 2008. The idea just started coming in pictures so i got my journal and began to write. I finished it right at midnight. Scary huh? It's one of my fav poems I've wrote, what do you think? Leave a comment please!