The Path to Now | Teen Ink

The Path to Now

By aaliyahs_poetry BRONZE, Panchkula, Other
aaliyahs_poetry BRONZE, Panchkula, Other

We were shown the hills , not the mountains

Picnics by the unperturbed rivers, not the roaring, unscrupulous seas

Saw the silent rain, the thundering drops of red - concealed

Shown the hands of fathers holding our mums

Surmised, souls of lovers no one could dissever

Not the hands men raised on women, how their words they spread like injected venom

When time stopped, worlds changed, years in transit from one to another

New winters surfaced but with a haze, fog cast upon known reality as all turned to strangers

Spring arose, as did the flowers

and trees covering aplenty,

making all anomalous, particularly oneself

Summer evaporated all of me, as raging autumn winds blew by

whispers of doubt and perturbation,

Strokes of all colors on this great ‘life canvas’ of ambivalence

But today, as we look back

at the small, picturesque hills

the tranquil rivers,

the misty rain,

glimpse- the beauty in the warmth of lovers

As we remember the mighty mountains,

the belting seas,

the roaring rain,

the newfound realities,

the path with many ways...

As we recall..

Every stroke,

Every color,

Whether black or white,

Green or Gray,

that painted us

with that forevermore imperfect, perfect consistency in this perfect, imperfect world

and made us who we are today

All that comes to light is everything but…

every broken but pivotal stone embedded on the path to now,

one that went in all direction,

but from it, we never strayed

It made us who we are today

It made us who we are today…….

This piece comprises some carefully knitted nostalgia with each thread a “pivotal stone embedded” on our  journey to ‘now’ . I talk about the universally inevitable phenomenon of change and growth while describing the leap from childhood to adolescence then adulthood and finally old age.

Now a little about myself:

My name is Aaliyah Bindra , I’m a dreamer, a musicophile, a dramatist , a humanitarian, a feminist , a photographer , an artist, a singer and most of all a poet  but apart from that I’m also a 14-year-old teenage girl from a small town called Chandigarh.

I believe poetry not only to be a method of communication and expression but whenever I read or write a poem , I imagine every word to be a broken shard of glass , several of which the reader pieces together by the time he reaches the end of the poem and looks at his reflection in the mirror formed by these words , truly ,a method of self-reflection  that highlights the fact that every cloud has a silver lining . Whether it be finding beauty and happiness  in the quick movements of a hummingbird as it jumps from one flower to another or whether it be reading about someone’s indecisive ‘Path to Now’ which contrasts both euphoria and gloominess. To conclude I will not say that poetry only makes me happy or joyful because that would be nullifying the works of the great Edgar Allen Poe (The father of gothic literature) or the world renowned Sylvia Plath all I can say is , poetry makes one ‘FEEL’, it allows us to tap into our humanity , poetry is astounding , it’s empathetic , it's cold and kind , all at the same time.