Fears of childhood | Teen Ink

Fears of childhood

September 24, 2023
By iverson27 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
iverson27 SILVER, Salem, Oregon
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My little knuckles turned white. My nails dug into the soft plush of my bear. My breathing was uneven as my father swung his leg over his motorcycle. I always struggled with my fears when it came to my dad racing. I never knew what was gonna happen. You could be going as fast as he was and lose control. We would lose him. Sure, I was only 6, but I knew how it felt to lose someone important to you. I never got to spend time with my dad because he was always traveling for business. The only time he was home was when he was racing. I tried to spend time with him but I was too young to actually help. The only thing a little girl can do is worry she is going to lose her father. So I clutched on to that little bear he gave me as a baby and prayed. I prayed for the Lord to protect my father. I prayed “please don’t let him die.”


The author's comments:

I grew up racing on a dragstrip and motorcycles are the most unstable. Being a little girl seeing all of these crashes was terrifying. Knowing I could lose my father in a matter of balance was... something no one should experience.