Three Souls | Teen Ink

Three Souls

By BrigidReynolds23 BRONZE, Stella, North Carolina
BrigidReynolds23 BRONZE, Stella, North Carolina

I remember your silly way of talking

The way you held my hand 

The way your eyes lit up

When you realized it was your granddaughter talking to you

Forget-me-not

Promise me

Promise you’ll remember the time we shared

When we meet again

I remember the confidence you restored in me

The self-love you made me feel

You lit up my life like candles glowing in the dark

I know you wait for me in those fields of lavender

Young and beautiful

Like and orchid in the Sun

Mature beyond your years

A gift the world could not repay

Instead they just took you away

I wrote this piece for my high school creative writing class. The poem had to include three types of flowers, so I chose forget-me-nots, lavender, and orchids. Each flower represents one of my grandmothers who all recently passed away. The forget-me-nots are about my grandma Pat who had severe memory loss and lived in a nursing home for about 12 years. Every time I visited her, she didn't remember me right away. We had to show her pictures, talk to her about her life, and just remind her who she is to us and what we are to her. She died during COVID, and I wasn't able to say goodbye to her, due to safety restrictions. The lavender is about my grandma Minerva, but I called her meemaw. She passed away exactly one week after my grandma Pat. COVID took her from me. Both our favorite color was lavender purple, and I would always draw her fields of lavender. She would hang them up around the house. The last flower which is the orchid was for my youngest grandmother who died this last July. She was my step-grandmother, but I still loved her more than I can put into words. Her name was Vic or Victoria depending on how you know her. She had a lot of grief in her life, but she was strong, cunning, intelligent, witty, adventurous, and so much more. Then she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She passed weeks after her diagnosis. The reason I chose orchids to represent Vic was because every time I visited her, she would have at least one or two rooms housing an orchid inside. I wrote this poem to pour my own grief into something. I have a hard time talking about my thoughts and emotions out loud, but poetry gives me a way to do that. I wrote this poem for me. And as a farewell to three of the most wonderful souls I ever had the chance of growing up with.