Natures Beauty from 5,790 Feet | Teen Ink

Natures Beauty from 5,790 Feet

By ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
ellievb17 GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

One may believe that nature's beauty starts from ground level, and it does, except you are limited to the same view as the worms wiggling beneath your feet. 

The need for higher elevation is a must, you must hike to the top.

On the treacherous journey to the top, the narrow canyons engulf all of their surroundings, including you. The trees dance in the morning breeze and rocks crunching beneath your feet, as a single file line moves up the switchbacks.

The switchbacks are steep, causing some to lose their balance and others to become out of breath. Baby steps will slowly pull you closer to the top. Eventually, Scouts Landing is in sight, the lookout point before Angels Landing begins. There, you see majestic ponderosa pine trees look more like small bushes, restless as the wiggles you used to venture to the top suddenly disappear.

In a very long thirty minutes, you will have reached the tippy top of the canyon, and the summit of Angels Landing. There, the thick black chain you have to hold onto ends abruptly. There are harnesses or things to clip into, it is only your hands and the chain bolted into the canyon. 

There, you have reached a bird's eye view, admiring all of nature's gifts that appear as small as a chess pawn. 

Submitted for the Rachel Carson Alliance Competition