OPEN | Teen Ink

OPEN

By Raisa_Khaled GOLD, South Windsor, Connecticut
Raisa_Khaled GOLD, South Windsor, Connecticut

The dimensions of my mind have always been consistent

The sun sets and dances with the moon 

While the pages of textbooks implant into my brain

The closing of my mind accelerating

Day in and day out, the clock’s hands spin around, never dizzy 

The landscape of mind reduced to barren land

The window of mind to world view put to shame

The closing of my eyes to an Earth not all about me

The day of flight inched closer and closer

Until the day disrupted the continuity of routine

Who knew 19 hours in the endless sky on a plane

Would change my complacence

Flying over a palette of all sorts of people

The realization of the beauty of humanity

Human civilization all across the nations

All different, but all people

19 hours on a plane 

To a country most others cannot find on a map

To a country of bending rivers and green

Of bright smiles and hearts burning as much as the weather’s sun

One step onto the land of rivers, out of the world of known routine

Others think it’s a country of “the impoverished,” “the slums,” and more

But it’s a country where my face only smiles 

And a country that cleanses my heart and brain

One civilization, many people, many perspectives

My world view awakens from its slumber

The barren land of my mind sprouts seedlings

The window of my mind opens to a view of the glimmering sea of life.

The poem above is about arriving in Bangladesh. My parents and the rest of my family come from Bangladesh while only me and my older sister were born in the US. In the poem I delineate how before the trip, every single day would feel exactly the same with my routine life. Wake up, study, eat, sleep, repeat. Life can be so banal if there is no change, and a person’s perspective outside of their own bubble starts to diminish if we don’t discover new things, meet new people, and live a little differently. 

Accordingly, after coming to Bangladesh, I have seen new places, new things, and new people all with different ideas and backgrounds and ways of living. I describe this as a “palette of all sorts of people” in the poem, which is absolutely true. The rest of the poem goes on to describe what I call my “pilgrimage of happiness.” Seeing family that I haven’t visited in so many years opened my eyes and heart more from my shrinking world perspective from seeing the same people and places 24/7. I realized the effect that the ties of blood can have on people. Even after seeing my cousins and aunts and uncles after so long, I’ve never felt as close to people as I had with them. My cousins became my brothers and sisters, and my aunts and uncles became my fathers and mothers. All of this love filled my heart entirely. 

The poem demonstrates how I filled the emptiness that I never knew existed. My heart and eyes are open, and love and happiness is all I feel. This is life. The unfortunate part is that when I return to America and my routine life, my mind might close again, just focussing on myself and my own concerns. But in that case, I’ll just need to find some other way to open it. Anyways, I can meet new people and try new things anywhere in the world, even in my hometown. At least my newfound disposition of opening my heart and mind will remain.