The Mask: A Poem on Façades | Teen Ink

The Mask: A Poem on Façades

By vkworkofficial SILVER, New Delhi, Delhi, Other
vkworkofficial SILVER, New Delhi, Delhi, Other

He swayed in the wind,

Moving Swiftly,

Speaking elegantly,

Shining with potential,

Contaminated his mind was,

Constrained his hands were,

Desire can kill,

When uncontrolled,

The perfect person,

Destined to be great,

A king,

In his own world,

No one aware of his quiet rage,

The voices in his head,

Whispering to him,

Life is cruel to the greats,

Always with a mask on his face.

This poem is about a person, well, in this case that person is me, who always has a dual-personality.

This dual personality consists of the personality intended for when he's on display, that is, when he's with people, or when he's out in the open.

When this personality is displayed, it has certain characteristics, which include, but are not limited to: 

1) Always hiding his true emotions, such as fear, or anger to maintain that posh, and sophisticated image. Hiding his under confidence, and putting on a show while dealing with imposter syndrome, but no one ever aware of it

2) Always showing positively perceived features such as laughing even when he's dying inside, showing sophistication, elegance, and containing so much potential, according to him, and others.

When the second personality, rather the true personality is displayed, usually at home, or when he's alone, it includes:

1) A bombardment of negatively perceived emotions, the ones that everyone feels, but not everyone hides, such as feeling inferior to everyone, suicidal thoughts, raging inside, depression, and much more.

There is also an extreme lack of having someone to confide his true feelings in, resulting to all the emotions just getting bottled inside, like a terrible-made table with an extremely fine polishing job done over.

He believes that life is cruel to everyone who has potential, or is "great", as seen from his experience, all the successful people have gone through terrible times as afterall it's just a part of life.

@ColorsOnTheWater Hey, sorry for the late reply. I didn't even notice that my poem got any more comments, although, I must say, your observations are quite different than what I've usually heard regarding my poem (although, people often don't understand them until I spend hours explaining them word by word).

Words, such as "swayed" do have a softer tone than "contaminated", so you are indeed correct.

Thanks once again for liking the poem, I ought to share more poems since you might like them aswell

ColorsOnTheWater BRONZE, Austin, Texas

He's not a tame lion - C.S. Lewis

I love the structure of this. The repeating soft "s" in first stanza and the the sharp "c" sounds in the second stanza.
I also love the tone. it seems to be unfeeling and indifferent, even though the subject matter is filled with emotion, which really supports the theme of the poem.

Sorry I geeked out over this. I just really like it.

LiteraryMe PLATINUM, Dayton, Ohio

“The earth has music for those who listen.” —William Shakespeare

woah, this is powerful, I love all the insight you provide

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

This is so relatable!!!