Eyeshadow | Teen Ink

Eyeshadow

By summerchild GOLD, Chandler, Arizona
summerchild GOLD, Chandler, Arizona

“Some of us have been through so much that even something good feels like a set up.”
-Anonymous

Simple thing

Eyeshadow

Colors so many

Colors take

The brush and

Dab

It in the colors of the

Palette take the

Brush and

Wipe

Smudge

Dab again

Wipe

Smudge

Slip

The eyeshadow

Spills over the

Untouched skin

Covering up the

Mistakes

Imperfections

Oddities

Eyeshadow is an

Special makeup

Giving the

Opportunity to

Blend

Wipe

Smudge

In a pretty way

Not in a

Normal way

But no one’s

Normal

Eyeshadow is

A special makeup

Letting you smudge

Letting you wipe

Letting you hide

Under the pillows

Of colored dyes

Under the gallons

Of perfection

Letting you feel

Happy with a

Reflection that

After eyeshadow

Isn’t even yours

I wanted to highlight how vanity and makeup are so important in our society- and how it’s a charade to hide from ourselves. I hope everyone out there who’s insecure with their image or their feelings knows that you are always supported for who you are, no matter your sexuality or race or class or intelligence. You have one life. Live it to the fullest. Be yourself. You are always good enough. 

summerchild GOLD, Chandler, Arizona

-Anonymous

@ILiveToRead I really think that light on the subject is the correct attitude. I wrote this poem from the idea that the person wore makeup to hide themselves, that they feel so negatively about their appearance that they use makeup to erase their imperfections. I went through a period where I wore makeup because I wasn’t happy with myself, but I now wear makeup simply because I like it and it brings out my natural beauty. I really appreciate your comment actually because I think that sort of recognition of the subject is important and that it’s not always bad or a way to hide, but a way to express yourself, especially as a member of the LGBTQIA+ community.

ILiveToRead PLATINUM, Wailuku, Hawaii
I absolutely love this- but! Remember makeup doesn't have to be a bad thing. They extent of it's power is in the hands of each individual who uses it. For example, one girl might wear it because her boyfriend told her to, in that case it becomes a negative thing, letting someone else dictate your standard of beauty. But another girl might just want to accentuate or enhance their own natural beauty. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's simply a form of self expression, which is allowed and necessary. (You, as a LGBTQ+ supporter, should know that after all people are using makeup to make their "true" gender more obvious.