Listen | Teen Ink

Listen MAG

By ellawaterman77 BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado
ellawaterman77 BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado

I wish I could hear America singing, 

but for a long time, she has only been screaming.

Listen. 

Can you hear the angry people steaming? 

The top 1 percent scheming? 

I can.

What would it look like, 

a strong melodious song? Our problems withdrawn, 

prejudice long gone, where all people belong, 

united to make a rhythm so strong we must 

Listen.  

Though now I am only dreaming,

I see a future so gleaming, a chance for redeeming. 

Can you hear that faint ringing?  

It’s America- she must be singing.

Listen.

This poem is a response to Walt Whitman's famous poem, "I Hear America Singing". Whitman describes what he finds beautiful about America and what his America looks like, and I wanted to do the same. My America is a place where people of all cultures and backgrounds, colors and ethnicities are treated equally. It is a place where those in the LGBTQIA+ community are fully accepted and celebrated, and gender discrimination is long gone. But most importantly, it is a place where, regardless of political affiliation or personal identity, individuality is something that brings us together rather than driving us apart. Now, I understand I am asking for a lot, which is why I decided to write my poem about the hope I have for the future, not the demands I have for the present. It may not be in my lifetime, but I look forward to a time where all people can hear America singing, and where all people belong to her song. 

NicoleRV SILVER, Lawerance, Massachusetts

"Failure is a bruise not a tattoo"
-Jon Sinclair

Wow, I am speechless. This poem is great and extremely powerful. I love your writing! Keep it up!