What Did We Do To You? | Teen Ink

What Did We Do To You?

June 28, 2021
By SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont
200 articles 23 photos 1053 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]


Why?

What did we ever do to you?

Is it such a crime to just want to live our lives?

The words racing through my mind

Tears in my eyes

When did loving God become a crime?

When did being refugees make us criminals?

When we ran to Missouri

They welcomed us with open arms

To flee those who had killed us before

And would do it again.

The open arms turned to guns

And the army was sent

To force out religious minority refugees

What of the children's blood?

And today, why must we be cast out?

What did we ever do to you?

When did worshipping the same God of Jews, Catholics, and Protestants

Make us the enemy?

The outcast?

What did we do to you?


The author's comments:

i still dont know if i'll publish this. ill have to check my heart and decide if the tone is accusing or not. esspecailly with this, I'm representing the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints(LDS). we love everyone. this is just expressing hurt and grief. hey, my third real poem. the dark was no big deal, just a book spreading blatant lies, stigma, and misconceptions(i will not say the name or author of the book. don't ask.). no big deal. I've never been shot at or had my family killed. i never crossed the plains in the dead of a lethal winter. my life isn't on the line like some peoples were. I'm just sad, not angry. and I certainly don't mean to accuse you, no matter what you believe about my church. i wont get defensive or anything. altho if you have any questions or any stigma you want to know the truth about, I would love to explain it. that which is in the poem is true. there's nothing you can do about it, and nothing I can do about it, except try to spread the truth. I've never been shot at. i have no right to complain. my church is just as valid and just as important as your church. my church defines my life, just like many other people. that doesn't make me a criminal. but please, if you have any questions ask me or an lds friend, and if i dont have the answers I'll figure out how to connect you to missionary(they wont try to convert you if you arent asking about joining. but they have training and they know stuff i dont.). and if you're wondering, yes, the first three lines lirally were the first thoughts in my mind.