Angels | Teen Ink

Angels MAG

By EleanorRigby PLATINUM, New York City, New York
EleanorRigby PLATINUM, New York City, New York

"The optomist proclaims we live in the best of worlds, and the pessimist fears this is true." - James Branch Cabell

At camp they tell us all life is a miracle,
Every single soul that breathes our air is here for a purpose.
All the people who do bad things
Are not bad, but are in need of help.
That everyone has the opportunity to be an angel.
But what if I don't believe in angels?
And I don't believe in miracles.
And I think some people are bad.
I live in the city, I know.
I've seen bad things, and I think to myself,
This can't be the work of angels,
This isn't a miracle.
I think at camp they are the ones who are in need of help.
They say all people are good
So that they can have hope for themselves.
And after my stay at summer camp,
Where there are trees and lakes and we sing,
I come back to my city and I don't dream
Of flaxen angel hair and heaven.
I have come to the conclusion that
I am lucky I live in a place without miracles
And the angels don't take away
My plastic bottles and the streets
And homeless people.

prolifepacifist, Cheverie, Other
I actually disagree.  I don't believe that people are bad... sure, they definitely can do bad things... but what events in their lives have led them to be that way?  Many criminals have been abused in their past and end up in rotten situations because they didn't have anyone there for them... I am not justifying their actions, I'm just saying that they themselves are not bad.  There's still hope for them- someone just has to care enough for them to help them change.  And I do believe in angels and miracles... I see unbelievable events each day-like a blade of grass or a snowflake.  And you might think "wow, she's one of those people?"... but they are in fact miracles... the fact that we experience consciousness and life and see good, pure things is a miracle.  So, I pray that you'll be able to see this one day too... there's some truly awful things that go on in this world, yes, but there's also some very beautiful things that make life worthwhile... anything... be it a blue sky, a pink house or a smile.  And human beings, every human being no matter how many bad, bad things they've done, has value, and can be saved if only we'd care to think them worth saving.

angelbee16 SILVER, New Haven, Connecticut

dont be brave be bold

really thought the was wonderful it was really good mater a fact to it was powerful 

elfiewrites BRONZE, Hillsdale, New Jersey

"The seat of knowledge is in the head, of wisdom, in the heart."~William Hazlitt
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken."

I love this! Keep on writing! I would love if you could comment on my work as well. Much appreciated.

Teiralovessugar SILVER, Sweet Home, Oregon

" Never Underestimate the Power of LOVE!"

i like it. its kind of lingering though, and some words rhyme where others don't. i really like it though

Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
This is wonderful! I agree with you completely. I can't force myself to believe any of that about angels and miracles. And P.S. Eleanor Rigby is one of my favorite songs by the Beatles. The key line there is "No-one was saved." Not even Father McKenzie or Eleanor Rigby, who both spent all of their time dedicated to the church. Excellent. I think I agree with you on many topics.

i really need some feedback so comment away everybody!