Where I'm From | Teen Ink

Where I'm From

By DolphinGirl1 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
DolphinGirl1 GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin

I’m from two different families,

first from Siren, then from Lisbon, Wisconsin,

brought together by the urge to give me the perfect life,

one family struggling with knowing they can’t have me, the seconds, counting down the days until they brought me home.

I’m from hearing doctors say “There’s very small chance she’ll make it to adulthood.”

From overcoming corrective surgeries due to birth defects caused by cigarette smoke and alcohol.

I’m from learning how to live with my disability. Acknowledging that I have to work harder than everyone else to succeed in life in a world where people don’t understand me.

I’m from seeing other students who struggle to accept me for who I am.

Having to learn to cope with the challenge of people saying “You’re an autistic freak!”

Knowing how to handle being ignored, left out, and picked last to be on a team or event.

I’m from learning to be an advocate for myself.

I’m from learning to accept I am who I am and nothing ever is going to change that.

From failing to stand and walk until I took my first steps at twenty months old.

Working hard, determination, and finding the courage, and the will to live in a place where somethings are more difficult to accomplish than other people have done without much difficulty.

I’m from overcoming the reality of realizing I have a disability,

from coping with the depression of having a disability, and

having to learning to forgive those who hurt me.

I’m from friendship of those few individuals who understand and support me.

I’m from two different families,

who were brought together by the urge to give me the perfect life,

one family struggling with knowing they can’t have me,

the second counting down the days until they could bring me home...defying all odds.