I'll Keep the Light On | Teen Ink

I'll Keep the Light On

March 17, 2015
By Anonymous

There I reside in my desolate corner. Abandoned. Patiently waiting for the interaction I so desperately crave. An eternity of worry evaporates once someone gives me attention. I light up at their company; I’m so glad to have a friend. Then as quickly as they arrive, they disappear. But who cares? They actually paid attention to me! See, life as a refrigerator isn’t too terrible.
Think of it this way—imagine yourself sitting around in your room doing nothing. Suddenly, a thunderous roar erupts out of nowhere. Yup, that’s your stomach rumbling. So what do you do? Might as well make your way over to the fridge. Once you open the door, you are greeted by an array of different foods. After giving it some consideration, you snag some leftover pizza. After scarfing it down, you simply go about the rest of the day. This process repeats itself for days, weeks: even months. Suddenly, there’s nothing. What was once a plentiful selection has withered away. Welp, since there’s nothing left, there’s no point going to the fridge anymore. Not until there’s something good to eat.
Sound familiar? That right there was a fairly accurate representation of my life. Friends come seeking something, whether it be materialistic or abstract, only for me to be tossed aside afterwards. Rarely will there come a time to which I confront them, but once that happens, they fade away. However, it doesn’t take long for them to resurface. And for some reason, I let them repeat the vicious cycle all over again.
This isn’t the life I, nor anyone, would wish for. I never asked for this leech infestation to drain me of everything, yet time and time again I put myself through this mess. Let this be a lesson: pay very careful attention to those you label as “friends.” Friendship is a two way street. Cut ties with people if you’re the only one putting in the effort to keep this lie afloat. Sometimes I wish I would follow my own advice. Until then, here I reside in my dead end corner.