Child Abuse | Teen Ink

Child Abuse

By Ezzallenne PLATINUM, Austell, Georgia
Ezzallenne PLATINUM, Austell, Georgia

"Fall down seven times; stand up eight."

She holds her teddy bear with trembling hands, hoping he doesn't want to hurt her tonight.
Hiding underneath her bed, she closes her eyes, and begs God to make things all right.
She hears her dad yelling in the other room, and then a bottle smashes against the wall.
And then he snatches open her door and screams her name, but she doesnt answer his call.
She doesn't want to feel his anger, because he always expresses it with his fists.
Bringing pain to his little girl, but never showing any remorse, due to his lack of a heart.
Leaving bruises all over her body, black and blue contusions, his abusive form of art.

She lays underneath her bed, praying he can't hear the thump, thump, thump of her heart beat.
But all hope is lost when her dad begins to laugh and then jerks her out by her little feet.
Daddy, please don't hurt me, she cries; as tears begin to fall from her eyes. I don't want to hurt anymore.
But he hits her over and over, until she stops crying; then he leaves her lying face-down upon the floor.
When her dad comes back to hit her again...she doesn't feel his beatings, she doesn't even respond to them.
because this time, her dad took it way too far. So, God carried the little girl to heaven, to be with him.

I wrote this after I watched one of those Child Abuse videos on youtube. I was shocked when I read that every 10 seconds, a child is abused and everyday, 5 kids die from child abuse.

yourstruely said...
yourstruely, Belleville, Illinois

i never said life was easy.... i just said you have to work with it. a quote that i came up with.

A Child Called It is one of my favorite books.  good choice of description.

yourstruely said...
yourstruely, Belleville, Illinois

this poem really hit close to my heart because i remember feeling that kind of fear with my father.  thank god it never went as far as it did with this little girl in your poem. it was a really good piece of writing.

Shmelmo GOLD said...
Shmelmo GOLD, Elma, Iowa

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

This poem has a really strong and sad meaning. When I read it it made me think of the book, A Child Called It.' Unbelievable that 5 kids everyday die from child abuse.

Nicely Done. :)