The Roller Coaster | Teen Ink

The Roller Coaster

By Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other
Garnet77 PLATINUM, Sinagpore, Other

"Everything's a triangle." ~ My mother

"Write what you love, write what you care about, because sometimes, it's the easiest way to be heard."

Hold on tight
See the sights
Of beaches and caves
Of people and slaves
The ride is never ending
Like a story that is pending
You’re jostled and toppled
And smiling and startled
As you go from curve to curve
To feel in your every nerve
A million different feelings
That come and then go peeling
Away like the wind
Maybe you’ve made a sin
Yet life goes on living
Roller coaster’s always spinning
Let go and you’ll fall
Give up and be hauled
Away from all of the living
Life is only for the living.

This isn't really a sonnet (except for the rhyming), but I think it fit this category the best... maybe? Anyway, enjoy it! I hope my meaning is clear! :)

FireIgnited said...
FireIgnited, Valley City, North Dakota
This is a fresh take on an old cliche :) I like how it's fast-paced, just like a roller coaster. I agree with Sarahology about "made a sin" sounding kind of awkward, but sometimes there's no other way to say something so it fits in the poem and flows perfectly at the same time. Great job :)

thetruthawaits94 SILVER, Duncan, Oklahoma

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

I was hoping that this wouldn't be the life is a roller coaster cliche- don't get me wrong, that is your meaning- but it in no way seemed old (as in the overused way). You wrote this analogy in a completely new way, and BRAVO for that! I love the idea. :)

Sarahhhhhhh BRONZE, Malden, Massachusetts

"The silence depressed me. It wasn't the silence of silence. It was my own silence."
- Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar

Initially, I was put off by the roller coaster concept (overused..) However, this blew me away. I loved the short lines, particularly the last two. Great imagery. The only line I would consider changing is "made a sin" -- it's awkwardly worded, maybe you need it like that for the flow but it takes away from the rest of the poem. Really beautiful though.

FictonFan101 said...
FictonFan101, Austin, Arkansas

"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world."

this made me think and i love that. its really gud!

sweetly_broken GOLD, Garner, North Carolina

We never know how big we are until we are asked to rise.

Normally I don't like rhyming poems but this one was very good! It was creative enough to make the poem enjoyable and you did a really good job conveying your message.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

I love the imagery this poem gives. :)  The rhyming scheme is excellent and so is the message behind it.

gigi01 GOLD said...
gigi01 GOLD, Seffner, Florida
very interesting poem... nice concept and good descriptions... I like how you applied it to life, especially the last two lines... great job!