A SLICE OF PI | Teen Ink

A SLICE OF PI

June 7, 2024
By Anonymous

Once upon a time in the quirky village of Piville, there lived a group of mathematics who were utterly obsessed with the number pi. They measured everything in terms of pi, from the circumfuses of their pizza to their diameter of their pies. Their leader, Sir Circumference, declared that pi was the ultimate truth and and must be worshiped. 


One day, a stranger arrived at PiVille with a revolutionary idea. He claimed that there were other numbers worth exploring, like e and phi. The mathematician scoffed at him saying “Only pi matters! It's irrational, just like us”


But the stranger persisted, offering to teach them the wonders of these numbers. Reluctantly, Sir Circumference agreed to a duel of numbers. Each side would present a mathematical challenge, and the villagers would decide the winner.


The stranger presented a puzzle involving the golden ratio, phi, which mesmerized the villagers with its elegance and beauty. But Sir Circumference was not to be outdone. He devised a fiendishly complex problem involving pi that left everyone scratching their heads.


After much deliberation, the villagers declared the stranger the winner. Sir Circumference was humbled, realizing that there's more to mathematics than just pi.


From that day on the villagers of PiVille embraced all numbers living happily ever after in numerical harmony. And Sir Circumference well he finally learned that there is more to life than just pi.


The author's comments:

My math teacher inspired this piece because he likes to work with the PI formula