Rainy Day | Teen Ink

Rainy Day

Rain. The world is most vibrant right after it rains. The colors pop, and everything seems so fresh and clean. It’s like mother nature’s way of hitting the reset button. There is something almost comforting about rain. It brings back childhood memories of jumping in puddles, or cuddling up on the couch to watch a movie because it’s too wet to play outside. As a kid, I was sad when my mom told me not to go outside when it was raining. But the pitter patters on the window are like a friend asking to play. Too hard to resist.
Boom! The thunderstorm crashes and it transports me back to when I was afraid of thunder, hiding under the covers. My mom used to tell me, “There’s nothing to worry about, it’s just rain.” But I didn’t believe her then. Now, hearing the rain on the roof or watching it through the windows is so calming. It feels almost peaceful, knowing the plants are being watered, and the world is getting its reset. It makes me wonder why people abhor rain so much. It makes people sad, or in a bad mood, but how could they be in a bad mood when the peaceful drops of water are freshening the earth they live on?
Some people say, “Rain doesn’t smell like anything!” But it does. The aroma is almost earthy, and kind of thick. It’s an unmistakable scent, and it teases me, just before the first drops fall. As the storm commences, there comes a certain freshness to the air that calms me while I view the damp environment and wet pavement.
Without fail, the feeling of rain trumps any other sensation. The feeling of the rain hitting my skin is like a hug from mother nature. The feeling of the rain is filled with kindness. It cools me off on a hot day, and evokes a feeling of happiness, as I dance in the downpour with no worries.